and the One who walks with me on it.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Backwards Through the Ten Commandments- #5

 
       In the news last year was the fact that in China, caring for your parents became an obligation, a law.  Strange how I thought they were far advanced than us on that matter for here it seems like few care for their own parents- we pay others to do it while others get ignored.  In fact, I noticed this winter how few older people get their driveways shoveled by the neighbours.  It used to be we all cared better for the elderly.


5. Honor your father and your mother, so that your days may be long upon the land which Jehovah your God gives you. Ex. 20:12
And he that curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death. Ex. 21:17

honour- kabad- negatively heavy, burdensome, positively honourable, promote. Bascally here meaning honour and value.
  honour- revere, respect, treat with deference and submission, perform relative duties to.
  value- rate at a high price, have in high esteem, hold in respect and estimation (importance),
   take account of (Webster 1828)
curses- qalal- make light of, of little account, despise, lightly esteem, make insignificant, treat with contempt/ dishonour. 

     I find it interesting that we (in North America) more often consider caring for parents negatively or burdensome.  True, some parents need major help physically or are struggling with mental diseases, but often we think mostly to our own inconvenience.  We don’t have the time for them.  In our already heavily scheduled lives, are we really to give up any downtime or relaxation time for our parents when we get little enough of it ourselves?  This commandment says yes.

       In Jesus’ day, the Pharisees and scribes tried to squirm their way (and taught others as well) out of taking care of their parents by attributing godliness to their actions.  Isn’t it amazing how they tried to use God to justify their actions?  Not much has changed… we still find good, logical reasons to not honour this command.

For Moses said, "Honor your father and your mother." And, "Whoever curses father or mother, let him die the death." But you say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, Corban! (that is, A gift to God, whatever you may profit by me) and you no longer allow him to do anything toward his father or mother, making the Word of God of no effect through your tradition which you have delivered. And you do many such things. Mr. 7:10-13

       Apparently, if you claimed your land, money, etc was a ‘gift to God’ than you could ignore your parents’ financial needs.  This man written tradition made God’s Word of no effect.  How often do we make God’s Word (of honouring parents, loving, being kind, etc) of no effect by our own justifications?  “But they’ve been nasty to me, I don’t have the time, I’m too tired, I promised to serve in my church, I have to work overtime (to feed my desires not needs), they drive me crazy, my kids are my priority …”

       And how about how we treat them even if they can take care of themselves?  Even if our words to them sound respectful, what’s going on in our heads?  I know for a fact the mind can be ‘cursing’ while the words are reasonable, because my Mom drives me nuts sometimes and my head is not in a loving place.  Also, forgetting to call them or visit is also neglectful as I was gently reminded by my ever so sweet Mom-in-law who said she missed us.  Big oops!  Now I schedule phone calls, and should start scheduling visits.  This command’s not easy due to time constraints, but necessary.

Keeping this one should be easy, but it's not.


Commandment # 5 –broken often L