and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, March 14, 2014

Today is my birthday…

       Sorry to break with the series, but there are some things I’m thinking about today on this, my 47th birthday (wait, lemme think… yep, 47’s right!).  They say you shouldn’t ask a woman her age, but quite frankly, I’m pleased to still be here and breathing 47 years later.  My life started out in jeopardy:  according to my Mom (first hand report obviously) I arrived, flying out of her quickly and the student nurse barely caught me before I hit the ground, and just before the doctor walked in after his lunch.

For the nurse who caught me (I hope you read this some day)- thank you very, very much!

       I rode my bicycle throughout my teen years, daily to high school, on higher speed roads with trucks and sometimes 60km then back in a day- all by myself.  My parents never stopped me (once they knew) but I did find out they worried.  Of course I was only run off the road a couple times…  As a fifteen year old there was a failed suicide attempt, while later that year I spun out on black ice and headed straight off a bridge.  By then I was saved, and cried out ‘Jesus’.  The next thing I knew, I was down the road a bit headed straight again.

       While surviving all these things was essential, the biggest miracles in my life were the changes inside of me- in my mind, my heart and my spirit throughout the years as I struggled in trial after overwhelming trial.  Many think I am a good teacher, but I think I’m a very poor student because it took A LOT of trials to change my stubborn heart to genuine faith in God.  Yet through it all, through every awful trial I stand here, alive and present in this moment, grateful for EVERY painful step and overwhelming pressure that brought me to THIS incredible (almost unbelievable) place with God in my life.

My being here and alive after 47 years is a miracle!

       But God is good.  God is great.  And He is ever so patient with us even when we are outright jerks to Him.  For every time I ‘kicked’ and screamed at Him denying His presence in all my tough places, in hindsight, He really never left me.  He is bigger than I thought, much more than I imagined, and far beyond what I ever hoped.

To You my Lord, my Precious Love, the one I desire more than breath or life itself:

       Thank You with all my heart

       I am Yours, forever,

                               Vicky


But as for me, my contentment is not in wealth
but in seeing you and knowing all is well between us.
And when I awake in heaven, I will be fully satisfied,
for I will see you face to face.
Ps. 17:15 TLB