and the One who walks with me on it.

Saturday, March 08, 2014

Backwards Through the Ten Commandments- #6



       If my memory serves me right, I was a teenager when I murdered my Mom and my sister.  For whatever reason I no longer remember why I screamed at my Mom in anger (only once I think) “I hate you!” and another time I smashed a piece of bread and then a piece of bologna on my sister’s face yelling each time, “I hate you”.  Those are the only times I remember being out of control, and they certainly aren’t proud moments.

6.  You shall not kill. Ex. 20:13

You shall not hate your brother in your heart… Lv. 19:17
He who does not love his brother abides in death. Everyone hating his brother is a murderer. And you know that no murderer has everlasting life abiding in him. 1Jh. 3:14,15

hates- miseo- detests, loves less
brother- adelphos- brother by blood, full or half
                            - countryman, co-worker
                            - any fellow or man
                            - fellow believer

       So according to Scripture, by hating my Mom and my sister, I became a murderer.  I wonder if there are people out there who have never hated anyone.  This is the second time the Lord Jesus shows us to be a ‘cut above’ by living more holy by watching our thoughts as well as our actions.  See, He’s saying it’s not just good enough to follow the basic words, but to honour Him we should excel above and beyond the basic requirements.
 
       Anyway, there is more to this command than just hate in our hearts.  Let’s consider the other ways we kill people.  Whether or not we believe it possible, we can kill people more than just physically.  There is emotionally, mentally, and spiritually.  Here’s a list of some of the things I think about when checking my heart for murder:


           Hatred or loving less.
           Extreme breaking of someone’s heart.
           Killing a person’s reputation at work, church, in the community.
           Killing a child’s trust by breaking promises often.
           Killing another person’s dream.

     Killing someone’s ideas at Christian service. “That’s stupid” “That won’t work”
     Killing anyone’s self worth.
     Showing less love to a person because of their lifestyle, job, wealth, etc.
     Killing a child’s innocence by any method.
     Hating the driver who cut us off.

           Killing everyone’s good mood around us because we’re miserable.
           Treating anyone as less than us.
           Choking the life out of our family.
           Killing another’s peace of mind by our actions or words.
           Killing someone’s financial ability to live by cutting their salary for our profit.

     Killing a person’s trust in God because of our hypocrisy or 
     lack of love.
     Keeping others from being honest because we condemn 
     them thus spiritually killing their life.
     Killing someone’s spiritual journey because we don’t pay 
     our bills on time or ever.
     Hating a person because their life is better than ours.
     Killing our own spirit by feeding it bad food (watching, 
     listening to immoral things).

       I’m sure there are many more ways we kill without ever realizing it.  God is a God of life, not of death and bringing death into any situation would be working in the devil’s kingdom rather than the kingdom of our God, and life.  So, how are we doing?


Commandment # 6 –probably broken daily