and the One who walks with me on it.

Saturday, November 09, 2013

Why We Should Talk God

       Over the years I have had a lot of conversations with a lot of people.  Conversations of bad driving, of how to deal with teens, of health, of jobs, of going to the washroom, basically anything anyone could discuss.  But my favorite conversations are those which revolve around the Lord for those ones are usually life changing.  It doesn't have to be God's doing this, God's doing that, but can include where we've been, how God has brought us here, how we are learning this or that, and where He seems to be leading us.
 
       These conversations are life changing to me because I learn from other's experiences, how the Lord has changed them, and it encourages me in facing my own problems, how He will help us through tough times, how He helps us by renewing and transforming our lives, and overall, let me know I am not alone in the fight of life.  "...and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God." (2Cr. 1:3,4 ESV)
 
       The sad thing is, the most difficult things to talk about are those things which cause us shame or deep sorrow: the bad things we have done, seen, or had done to us, and is especially difficult if we are still struggling through them.  And it certainly doesn't help that the enemy of our soul, the devil along with his minions, will use this fact to make us feel alone, isolated in our struggle, that no one will understand or will think horribly about us if they know, that they will look with shame towards us that we feel, that we can never change or our situation is hopeless... etc.
 
       Basically, he lies to us because he is the father of lies, seeks to kill us (Jh. 8:44) whether that be bodily, emotionally, mentally or spiritually and tries to devour us (1Pt. 5:8), our relationship with God and anything good in our lives.  HE IS OUR ENEMY and holds us in bondage (Rm. 8:15) bigtime, mostly because we keep silent as he continues to torment us with his lies and deceptions.

       On the other hand, the Lord tells us we can go to Him for help (Ps. 121:2), healing (Ps. 30:2; 147:3), and for all our needs (Php. 4:19).  He also tells us not to be alone with our issues but to go to one another.  Confess faults to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed... (Jm. 5:16)  Confess also means acknowledge openly, profess.  Faults also means a fall, a lapse or deviation, misdeed, sin.  Also, Jesus wants us to help each other:
 
Bear one another's burdens, and so you will fulfill the Law of Christ. (Gl. 6:2) 
For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labor of love... in that you have ministered to the saints, and do minister. Hb. 6:10
Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. Php. 2:4
This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Jh. 15:12 KJV
But do not forget to do good and to share, for with such sacrifices God is well pleased. Hb. 13:16
 
       Some of the greatest freedom I found was when I began to admit to trusted people the horrible things of my past.  All of a sudden, the enemy couldn't lie to me so much because my friends didn't despise or turn away from me, instead they loved me still.  (I think we are prone to assume the worst, but often, the reality is much different.) Now the enemy and those things of the past don't hold me in bondage anymore.  Christ has truly made me free- and He used other people to help!
 
Two are better than one... For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow... Ec. 4:9,10
Therefore encourage one another and build one another up... 1Th. 5:11 ESV
Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. 1Pt. 4:8
 
Precious Lord, help us be open and honest with one another, willing to share our burdens and struggles and thereby encourage one another to press on.