and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, November 07, 2013

The Will of God- Part 1



       I became a Christian as a teen, and right after high school went on to Bible College.  Often in those years I wondered what God's will was for me.  Would I end up in the mission field, would I preach or teach somewhere, would I get married and raise the twelve kids of which I always dreamed, just what was God's will for my life?  Honestly I rarely thought of His will in present terms.  Now I find that rather odd.

       Of course the best place to find out what is God's will for us, is in His Word.  There are words in there that make it very plain as to what He wants us to do, that if we love Him, we will obey.  Wish I could say I've always done that.  Would like to say I've even done it for the most part, but I doubt it.  Still, no matter how poor my obedience has been, tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it, and I can choose to change today. Jesus said, “And why do you call Me Lord, Lord, and do not do what I say? (Lk 6:46)


Here is a list of the benefits of obeying God's will:

Mt. 12:50 For whoever shall do the will of My Father in Heaven, the same is My brother and sister and mother. (be His family)
Jh. 7:17 ESV If anyone's will* is to do God's will, he will know whether the teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own authority. (discernment) [*will- resolve, determination, purpose, desire, love, take delight in]
Gl. 1:4 who gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil world according to the will of God and our Father, (deliverance from this evil world) [also 2Pt. 3:9- none should perish, all should repent]
Cl. 4:12 ...that you may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God.
Hb. 10:36so that after you have done the will of God you might receive the promise.
1Jh. 2:17 ESVwhoever does the will of God abides forever. (in Heaven!!!)


How should we obey His will:

Ps. 40:8 I delight to do Your will, O My God; and Your Law is within My heart. (with delight- notice the Word is within the heart)
Ep 6:6 ...doing the will of God from the heart, (from the heart)


Come back tomorrow for the list of just what is “The will of God”