and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, August 16, 2013

Summer Driving

Phew!

What a summer!

       There's been a lot of driving for me and it's not something I enjoy doing.  Drive daughter to and from work every day, drive son to see his friends as all are out of area and don't have family vehicles- and no public transportation from our house.  Doctor appointments, meetings, shopping, family outings, church services, and other sundry driving.  It's a lot for me and probably wears me out faster than anything.  So I must be a glutton for punishment...
 
       See, my son, who is adopted, found his brother and sister.  His brother is in the next town and so they've been able to hang out.  His sister lives over 1000 km to the south of us and so the two here have not seen her since they were extremely young- they have no memories of her.  So... last weekend hubby and I had our vacation, this weekend I promised to bring my Mom to my sister's, Sunday night I'll get home, pack, and drive down south for 12+ hours Monday (can't afford to fly) to reunite the kids, now whom I consider my kids.
 
Phew!  Did you get that all?
 
       I must be crazy, maybe...  Or maybe crazy is my hubby letting me do all this?  The thing is, to me anyway, family is family.  Yes, we are Nate's family, but so are these two that he never knew growing up.  I want him to know them and enjoy their company.  I want him to love and be loved by them.  Could this bite us in the butt someday?  Maybe, but I'm willing to take that chance.  There has always been a deep seated need in him to know them, and now he has that opportunity.  I wouldn't want them to wait any longer than needed.
 
       When Amy was young, we had a partially open adoption, which meant we communicated with her birth mom through the social worker.  After a year I realized that we all love and are loved by many people and so Amy would be able to love us and her birth family too.  Hubby already felt this way and we fully opened the adoption, wrote and even visited them every 2 or 3 years. (Very out of area)  Some people have said about both families, "What if they are alcoholics, drug addicts, or have mental issues?"  Well, if they were in our blood born families what do we do?  We figure out a way to relate to them without enabling their behaviour.  Why wouldn't we do the same for newly found relatives.  I say, the more people to love, the merrier!!!
 
       So I don't know how much time I'll have for blogging, but I will try to keep up as much as possible.  To me, these two new amazing people are already my family and I look forward to getting to know them better.  What a blessing to open up my life to share it with them, and what a blessing for me to share their lives.  It may be a tiring journey south but I anticipate it will be well worth the long drive.  Ow, I'm so excited!!!
 
Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
1Cr. 13:7 ESV

       As for the long drive which needs to be done in one day (can only be gone 5 days) I'll just have to rely on this verse, "I can do all things through him who strengthens me." (Php. 4:13), trust God to help me and help everything to work out and then remember one important thing.

Just breathe...