and the One who walks with me on it.

Monday, August 05, 2013

Go Sit in the Corner



       ‘Now Vicky, you sit there in that corner and think about what you’ve done.’  I can’t really remember being told that, but it probably happened.  For certain, I’ve seen it on tv shows and I wonder to myself why the kids don’t get right back up and say, ‘Okay, I’ve thought about it!’  Self assessment is not a comfortable thing for us to do at any age.  Who wants to look in the mirror and see themselves for who they really are?  It’s bad enough the unwanted hair, the permanent wrinkle lines and the chub that never used to be there, but then there are all those internal flaws to consider.

I thought on my ways, and turned my feet to Your testimonies. Ps. 119:59

       But I don’t wanna think: of how selfish I’ve been with my time, how many times I’ve lost my temper, the money I’ve wasted while others can’t pay basic bills, of the days I’ve ignored my Lord, and the times I’ve disappointed others by my actions, or even myself, not to mention the times I didn’t do what God wanted me to.  No one wants to dwell on their failings, and quite frankly, I don’t think we should (dwell means to reside or stay in them) because the Bible says to think on things that are right, pure, lovely, of good report, virtuous, praise worthy (Php. 4:8), right?

       Actually, there are two words I purposely omitted from that verse (did you catch it?)- true and honest.  While honest can also mean honourable, true is just that- the truth.  So we are supposed to think on what is true, and that includes our failings.  If we never consider them, how can we decide to improve?  Yes, God can help us change, but we are supposed to do our part. Notice, David turned his own feet; he didn’t wait for God to turn them.

Check out the verbs: flee (2Tm. 2:22), resist (Jm. 4:7), repent (Ac. 17:30), forgive (Ep. 4:32), humble self / seek / pray / turn (2Ch. 7:14), deny yourself (Lk. 9:23), confess (1Jh. 1:9), put off (Ep. 4:22).  These are just some of the many action words God wants us to do.

       David contemplated his ways, decided they needed changing and then changed.  Is there any value in assessing our ways?  Successful businesses do it often to see how they can improve and it helps.  You can’t improve upon something without knowing it’s a problem first.  Perhaps if we took some time every week to ponder our ways, we can decide if any changes are needed to improve our walk, our relationships, our health, our being.  Jesus came to bring salvation and to show us a better way to live.  It doesn’t do any good if we just ignore the things He said.

       We need to think.  We need to change.  We need to move toward God and godliness.
                   No, wait
                                I need to