and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, August 08, 2013

25 Years to Life



       Sounds like a criminal sentence, doesn’t it, but it’s not.  Tomorrow will be our 25th anniversary, and what a miracle it is that we are still together.  With all we have been through and all we’ve had to overcome, the changes within were not entirely positive and so we have learned to adapt as we go along the matrimonial journey.  Still, there’s another reason I say it’s a miracle.

       Albert was my first and only boyfriend.  Though I’d wanted to wait until 28ish, well, I couldn’t wait that long after I got to know him.  So  we were engaged, I told my parents (his were down south with no way to inform them) and then he told all our friends.  That was when the panic set in.  I had never stayed with a man- other than my Dad- for more than 24 hours.  What if I couldn’t do it?  What if we drove each other crazy?  What if I wasn’t able to stick with one man for all my life- or a year- or even a week?

Marriage is honorable in all… Hb. 13:4

       Getting married is easy; staying married requires hard work especially in today’s environment harder than you will ever do at a paid job.  But the best things in life are worth the effort.  Salvation is similar.  Getting saved is easy; walking out your salvation is not!  We battle the flesh, the devil, his fellow workers, our families and friends sometimes, our co-workers, and the old human nature.

      Life is hard.  Sometimes it changes us- and not for the better.  We need to learn to live and adapt in this new Christian environment we walk through.  And we need to put effort towards the journey and not expect God to do it all for us.  The best marriages involve really good communication with each other.  Likewise, our ‘spiritual power’ will come from good communication with God.  That’s two way communication by the way.  Not only do we need to speak, but also be still and listen; listen to the voice of the Messiah.

       Fortunately, we do not fight alone.  There is One who is with us (Mt. 28:20), stands beside us (Js. 1:9) in the journey ready to be our defense (Ps. 5:11), our offense (Ex. 14:14), our guard, our refuge (Ps. 46:1), our strength (Is. 41:10).  So no matter how tough our journey is in these bodies of flesh, we can only ‘serve one life sentence’.  After that, we have an eternity in the most beautiful and perfect place ever with the Love of our lives.


Thank You Lord.
     No matter how many years we must endure hardship here, it is worth an eternity with You!