and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Donating Blood



       I’m a big proponent of donation; in fact, I try to exert firm but gentle pressure on my 17 year olds to give at least three times before deciding if they want to continue.  Am I a good example?  Not really.  When I was younger, I had low iron, and then I had cancer so now I am not able to give, but Albert was a faithful donor up until he became diabetic.  Still, the thought of how many lives could be saved makes me wish I could, I mean, one day it could be someone I love.

       Sometimes people have rare blood, and they are really needed in the donor pool.  Occasionally they will be called in special if there is a need and they’ve done it before.  One man with rare blood was asked to donate for platelets which is far more intensive and requires (if I remember right) three donations close together.  They say one donation could save three lives, or help at least- doesn’t that make it worthwhile?

       Imagine if your blood could potentially save everyone in the world.  Would you do it then even if it meant painful torture, humiliation and abandonment by everyone you loved?  Would you do it if you knew people would murder or starve others in your name, or perhaps just reject what you did for them?  Jesus was the greatest blood donor in the history of mankind because His blood does have the potential to save everyone in the world.  It’s a shame that some reject the blood and die in their sins.  There is no need for any to die in their sin because the Lord left the choice up to us as individuals.

But God commends His love toward us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us. Rm. 5:8
He Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that dying to sins, we might live to righteousness; by whose stripes you were healed. 1Pt. 2:24
For He has made Him who knew no sin, to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. 2Cr. 5:21
looking to Jesus the Author and Finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross… Hb. 12:2

Do we accept His blood to wash our sins, accept Him as Lord of our lives and follow Him with the reward of living forever with Him one day?
     Or do we reject the blood and lose our lives to spend eternity in torment?

               Jesus didn’t just donate a pint 
                            it fell from all his major parts and poured out of His side 
                                                 ...for love of us.