and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, August 25, 2013

       Well, in case any of you are wondering how my drive back from Georgia went yesterday, it ended with me getting home at 1:45 am this morning.  Again, the Lord miraculously helped me stay awake, alert and able to drive the 12 hours needed to get home.  (Did I tell you He's amazing!!!)  Why did we leave so late as 12 hours start us at 1:30 in the afternoon?  Ahhh.  Wise question.

       You see, I had smelled what I thought was antifreeze in my engine compartment.  As I looked on Friday, there was no fluid left in the overflow.  I thought, it's probably a small leak because I kinda didn't check, um, ever (didn't Albert? oops), and it was probably low to start with; so I filled it up and off we went for the day in Atlanta.  Late Friday night I checked and there was no fluid left again.  Obviously a much bigger leak than I thought.  So early Saturday I found a place to look at it and behold, I had a cracked radiator and broken water pump.

       The good news is I was able to get it fixed; the bad news was it took four hours because of the type of vehicle we drive.  Of course, the cost didn't make it into the best memorable moments book either, but we did get home!  It's making me think about us in terms of being like car parts.  Time, weather, road salt, poor maintenance and such all impact the life and strength of the car parts.  They wear down, need fixing, greasing, replacing, etc.  

For my life is ending with grief, and my years with sighing; my strength fails because of my iniquity, and my bones have wasted away. Ps. 31:10

       Time, weathering of troubles, caustic situations, poor maintenance of our bodies /  minds and such impact us in ways we notice, AND in ways we don't.  Because of this, we wear down, need fixing, greasing, replacing, loose strength, etc.  It's not surprising considering these bodies are mortal and will perish, as well as our frail and degrading brains.  Here's some Scriptures on the Lord Almighty who helps us with our maintenance:

My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart, and my part forever. Ps. 73:26
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Ps. 51:10
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind... Rm. 12:2
I am the True Vine, and My Father is the Vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away. And every one that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bring forth more fruit. Jh. 15:1,2
...to give to them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the mantle of praise for the spirit of heaviness; so that they might be called trees of righteousness... Is. 61:3
So that if any one is in Christ, that one is a new creature; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.  2Cr. 5:17