and the One who walks with me on it.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

What We Think About



(some things bear repeating…)


       If we could count how many things we think about each day, would it amount to hundreds or thousands?  I’m not sure, but I do know the list of things we do not think about far exceeds those things we do think about.  For instance, I don’t often think about sewers, or light bulbs, or shelves, or carpets, or seesaws, or sailboats, and on and on.

       So, why don’t I think about these many things?  It is because they are not important to my life most of the time.  Yes, on rare occasions they come to mind, but for the most part they are trivial and not worth my attention.  On the contrary, people (most especially my relationships), finances, household issues, and schools etc. are frequently on my mind.  It is because I consider them important to me that I think of them most often.

       This logic is critical in realizing how important we are to God.  He WANTS to be part of our lives, and it shows in His thoughts of us.  David understood this, and so should we.

How precious it is, Lord, to realize that you are thinking about me constantly!  I can’t even count how many times a day your thoughts turn towards me.  And when I waken in the morning, you are still thinking of me!  (Ps. 139:17,18 TLB)

       You and I are just as important to the Lord as David was for God is no respecter of persons (Ac. 10:34).  He loves us so much that we are constantly on His mind!  ‘Constantly’ means He has a LOT of thoughts about us.  Now consider how often He thinks of each of us multiplied by the amount of people He thinks of.  I can’t even imagine how He is able to do it, I only know He is God and able to exceed all our expectations.

       ‘If I should count them, they are more than the sand;’ is the literal translation of verse 18a.  I wouldn’t want to attempt to count sand (would anyone?), yet David says the Lord thinks of Him that often.  So, just by the amount of times the Lord thinks of us in a day, we can logically assume He considers us important to Him.  And if that isn’t enough, the Lord continues His thinking of us even while we are sleeping.  Wow, the God of all creation, the universe and us, is thinking about us… constantly.  What love He must have for us!