and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Yummiest Tuna Ever

       Though I am not the biggest tuna fan in the world, I do tend to enjoy it occasionally.  Today, after only snacking here and there with rather bland foods for three days (so as not to cause further grief to my body) I made my first meal.  Protein appealed to me more than anything and we didn't have much to choose from, so I fixed the tuna up the way I like it- short on mayo, lots of cut up dill pickle.  Wow, did it taste good, so delicious- almost like I hadn't eaten in days... oh... er...  Anyway, I was so grateful to be able to enjoy tasty food again that I might have thanked God for every bite- it was just that yummy. 
 
       It reminds me of those movies where you see someone out in the desert without water.  Eventually they become dehydrated and so desperate for water (liquid) that when they can't walk, they crawl along the sand reaching out for that illusive water they need and croaking out 'water, water'.  Now, I've never felt that desperate for water before, but I know many people have.  When you want it, you've just got to have it, and you can't be satisfied with anything else.  A whole plate of food will not suffice. 

       For humans, water is a necessity far more than food.  You can last over 40 days without food as has been substantiated in scientific journals.  Yet, you cannot go more than 3 days without water, according to reports, although you do get some fluid from food if you are able to eat.  As to survival, the list of needs is as follows: water, cold, food.  So, protection from the cold is more important than food, but water remains the most important need to fill.

       It's funny how we recognize this for our physical bodies, but rarely pay attention to our spirits.  We make sure to drink our 8 cups a day or whatever meets our needs, but not so with meeting the needs of our spirits though they subsist on the triune God, His Word and His presence.  Yet, do we make sure to get out daily spiritual needs met?  Do we thirst to fill THOSE needs?  Do we have an insatiable craving for God and feel completely dry without Him as if we were dehydrated?

...As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God.  My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.  When shall I come and appear before God. Ps. 42:1,2 ESV

      David knew this need and expressed it in His writing.  Do we express our thirst to God, or are we satisfied to live a dehydrated spiritual life, lacking in power, barely surviving, never experiencing the abundant life God wants us to have (Jh. 10:10)?  I don't want to live that way ever again.  This life has become far too exciting, for the more I drink in Him, the more alive I feel, even when sickness gets my body down!  That life is available to all for it comes in the form of the Son of man, Jesus Christ, who came to free us from sin and death by shedding His blood to save us.  When we believe on Him, repent, and make Him our Lord, His Spirit comes to dwell in us and we have living water and will thirst no more.

...Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again.  The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life. Jh. 4:13,14
...If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink.  Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, 'Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water. Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive... Jh. 7:37-39  (heart- spirit, soul, the inside of the person)

Question of the day:
                   if we are dry- dehydrated in our spiritual life, then, what is the reason?