and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, June 21, 2013

No Power



       The school year is coming to a close and all that is left is one exam for my son and two exams for my daughter.  Their exams will require little studying, even in my opinion (boy have things changed!)  Given that fact, I wasn't complaining when one was on the Xbox, one was on the phone ready to get on the computer while hubby was watching tv.  I was hiding in the quieter back room trying to read when an outcry was heard. 

       The power went out but I hadn't noticed because it was light enough outside to read by and my music was playing over passive speakers.  When I lifted my head to check, sure enough the clock numbers had disappeared.  Well, it's funny to watch people used to electronic input- whose handheld devices needed charging- try and manage without for several hours (my excuse for not posting!)  They seemed to act like life was unliveable or boring without power!

       I honestly think that's a big reason why teens today are not interested in church or Christianity in general... the lack of power.  That lack of power makes it boring and kind of unliveable as just about anything else is more exciting to them.  I'm not saying church should be more entertaining, but rather, the power of God should be so strongly displayed with His people that our kids should be excited to be part of His kingdom.

       Without (hydro) power our lives get very dark, especially at night.  Without God’s power our lives remain dark in this world we live in.  He is the Light (Jh. 8:12) and the Life (Jh. 14:6) of our lives.  If our lives are dark, miserable and defeated all the time, if we live not really enjoying our lives or Christ, Christianity and our brothers and sisters in the Lord, why would our kids want what we have?  If they never see the power of God in our lives, why wouldn’t they wonder if He is real?

For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power. 1Cor. 4:20
   -It’s not just in what we say, but in His power that we should live.
He who believes and is baptized will be saved, but he who does not believe will be condemned. And miraculous signs will follow to those believing these things: Mr. 16:16,17
And going out, they proclaimed everywhere, the Lord working with them and confirming the Word by miraculous signs following… Mr. 16:20
   -check out my posts on Mr. 16 here1, here2, here3.  Those believing in Jesus’ salvation will have signs follow, just as the disciples and others did.
(Paul and Barnabus) Therefore they stayed a long time, speaking boldly in the Lord, who bore witness to the word of His grace, giving miracles and wonders to be done by their hands. Ac. 14:3
   -Two men, neither there in Mr. 16 commission, both preached with signs proving their words.
But if the Spirit of the One who raised up Jesus from the dead dwells in you… Rom. 8:11
Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, Eph. 3:20
   -The same Spirit lives in us, the Spirit of the One who raised Jesus.  That’s powerful, and He works in us.

       What’s the answer to displaying God’s power in our lives more?  It’s getting too late for me to think about it further, only to know I am not satisfied to stay in this place, rather, I push forward to ALL God has for me to learn, in change, in action, and whatever it takes to be in His will. I choose to move forward in and with Him.  Now I just have to get my body to follow!  For me, having no power, or just a little power is not acceptable anymore; how about you?