and the One who walks with me on it.

Monday, May 27, 2013

Know the Lord- Part 3



       Even when couples have been together for decades they can get into destructive fights.  Sometimes words such as, “You don’t even know me (anymore)” are brought up.  How is this possible if they’ve been living together for a while: they have full head knowledge of the person, and have probably learned a lot about the person, so just what is the meaning behind those words?

       Well, you can read a complete novel on everything I’ve ever done, my past, present and expected future, what side of the bed I sleep on, my favourite colour, food, drink, and yet still not know me.  My closest friends know me.  Because we’ve known each other for decades, have gone through storms of life together, and supported each other in times of weakness or need, we know each other.  We share our lives, our selves with each other, we laugh and cry together, we get personal and share memories.

       The people of Israel knew all about Jehovah- they heard about Him from their parents through oral traditions and the priests.  They knew His name and the meanings of their celebrations.  They knew the stories of miracles done by Him.  They had copies of His Word written by many authors, but with all of that they didn’t know Him personally, and in the end, that’s what really matters.

Hear the Word of Jehovah, sons of Israel. For Jehovah has a quarrel with the people of the land, because there is no truth, nor mercy, nor knowledge of God in the landMy people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you from being priest to Me. Since you have forgotten the Law of your God, I will also forget your sons, even I.  Hos. 4:1,6 (lack- belee- failure, corruption) (rejected- mawas- spurned, abhorred, cast away, despised, loathed, refused)
Their doings will not allow them to turn to their God; for the spirit of fornication is in their midst, and they have not known Jehovah. Hos. 5:4

Years of togetherness with God... if we want it!
       God knows us, His children, inside and out (because He is God) “But if any one loves God, he has been known of him.(1Cor. 8:3).  But now, knowing God, but rather are known by God…” (Gal. 4:9).  Do we genuinely know God?  Eternal life is at stake, for it is for those who know Him (Jh. 17:3) and are known by Him because they love Him (1Cor. 8:3).

And He has given us an understanding so that we may know Him who is true… 1Jh. 5:20
You are My witnesses, says Jehovah, and My servant whom I have chosen; that you may know and believe Me, and understand that I am He. Before Me no God was formed, nor shall there be after Me. Is. 43:10

       So God will give us increasing understanding of Who He is as we spend time with Him.  He chose us to be adopted into His family (Eph. 1:5), so as we draw near to Him, He reciprocates (Jm. 4:8), and as we open the doors of our hearts to Him, He comes in to dine with us (Rev. 3:20).  How far we want to go in this relationship with God is up to us.  Ask yourself?

Just how far am I willing to go to genuinely KNOW the Lord?


Let us pray as Moses:

Now therefore, I pray You, if I have found grace in Your sight,
make me see now Your ways, that I may know You,
that I may find grace in Your sight
Ex. 33:13