and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Insulting



       To me, one of the most insulting behaviours is when I am speaking to someone who keeps looking away as if what I am saying (or I myself) is not worth their attention.  If it happens rarely, that is one thing, but there have been particular people that did it most of the time.  Of course, they could also be looking at the clock constantly, just zone out into their own contemplation, or allow other people to keep interrupting them with what must be more significant matters than me.  All of that makes me feel like they think I am not important enough to listen to.

       I wonder sometimes if God feels that way with us.  I know I struggle in that area far too often.  Wake up, exercise, kids to school, eat, God time now-right?  Oh wait, first I have to do this and that then  The truth is that I don’t always put God first.  Sometimes computer work (or play), puzzles, tv or other unnecessary things get in the way.  It is so bad some days that I insist on getting dishes (from the night before) done instead of spending time with the Lord.  How sad is that?  It’s like I’m treating everything and everyone as more important than Him.

(about the exodus Israelis) “But,” God says, “I was very angry with them, for their hearts were always looking somewhere else instead of up to me, and they never found the paths I wanted them to follow.”
Beware then or your own hearts, dear brothers, lest you find that they, too, are evil and unbelieving and are leading you away from the living God. Heb. 3:10,12 TLB


       In the past I have done some bashing (in my thoughts) of the Israelis who left Egypt after seeing such great miracles yet still had unbelief and no understanding of God.  Now I often wonder at how much I am like them.  Just like their hearts were always looking somewhere else instead of God, so it is the same with man.  We tend to look at everything around us instead of the God who made it all.  We tend to place more importance on that which we see, and quite frankly, are temporal. 

because we do not look for things that can be seen but for things that cannot be seen. For things that can be seen are temporary, but things that cannot be seen are eternal. 2Cor. 4:18 ESV
But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness… Mt. 6:33
looking to Jesus the Author and Finisher of our faith… Heb. 12:2

       I wonder what God would say to me if I asked Him what He thinks- about how I treat Him as unimportant sometimes. Truth is, I don’t want to ask because I probably won’t like the answer.  Then again, I’m me, and now that I’ve thought about the question, I’ll almost certainly ask even if it hurts, because in the end I do want a better relationship with the Lord no matter the cost. 

 Oh Lord, give me the courage to ask You all the things I may not want to hear answers to.