and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Squishy Shoe



       Wednesday I had to go to a meeting, but I didn’t have a car to get home so I had to ride my bike.  Unfortunately it was raining, and though I had a raincoat to keep the upper part of my body dry, I didn’t find my rain pants to protect my legs.  After 10 km, my jogging pants became saturated and the left pant leg began to drip quantities of water into my shoe.

       There was nothing I could do but press on.  It wasn’t comfortable when I had to apply heavier pressure like when I needed to start after stopping, or due to opposing wind.  The water squishing up around the top of my foot every time I pressed down was cold and felt awful.  Still, I had to continue to get home and put up with the discomfort.

       Sometimes in life we have to do the hard, uncomfortable things that we really don’t want to do.  Parenting is like that far more than I’d like it to be!  You know, we have to apply pressure even when it will make us unhappy/ the bad guy/ the mean mom etc.- and when we get the cold shoulder for doing what we believe is right.

       There are other things we need to do that make us uncomfortable.  One is confront a brother or sister over being offended or them taking offence.  First off, it is not our place to spread the issue around to anyone else (Jm. 4:11), even by hinting.  We must “Forgive each other(Eph. 4:32) and take it to the Lord in prayer, then “speaking the truth in love(Eph. 4:15) confront the person who offended or is offended.  The person may not even know we are offended.

But if your brother shall trespass* against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. But if he will not hear you, take one or two more with you, so that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it to the church.  Mt. 18:15-17  (*miss the mark, err, sin, offend)

       It is important to approach a person in humility because often they may not know they’ve hurt us.  In the past, the people I’ve approached (a thoroughly uncomfortable time) profusely apologized to me, none meant to hurt me, and forgiveness brought restoration for all.  If it cannot be worked out, then one or two more (wise and trustworthy) witnesses may be needed.  If the shoe is on the other foot and the person who acts offended around you won’t admit to a problem, you can bring in witnesses to see that you are trying your best and the person is still denying a problem.

Brothers, if a man is overtaken in a fault, you the spiritual ones restore such a one in the spirit of meekness, considering yourself, lest you also be tempted.  Gal. 6:1

       Another time, there was a speaker who made a few Biblically untrue statements about the Exodus story- I thought perhaps for effect.  Afterwards I wanted to tell him, but instead decided to write a letter, yet in the end, I didn’t do anything.  It was too uncomfortable for me to confront him, and it wasn’t a doctrinal issue anyway- so I told myself.  But it is our responsibility to correct others in Biblical err (always with love and humility), for some day we might need similar correction ourselves.  I would prefer someone correcting me over teaching wrong things which later would embarrass me more.

All Scripture is God-breathed, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness… 2Tm. 3:16
(Jesus said) “You err, not knowing the Scriptures…”  Mt. 22:29

       We can all err, from the new believer to the forty year veteran.  Not one human knows the Bible perfectly or is perfect in our attitudes and actions.  That is why the Word is needed for reproof and correction.  Just because the Bible says, “love will cover a multitude of sins*...” (1Pt. 4:8) doesn’t mean we just ignore the issue; sometimes we have to press through the uncomfortable thing and get the job done (confront it), for love doesn’t leave a brother in error or offence.  We need to step up and do the tough stuff because we are all on this journey together and we are all the same body under the headship of Jesus Christ (Col. 1:18).



(*miss the mark, be mistaken, err, wander, go wrong, sin)