and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, March 22, 2013

Need or Want



       Just been sitting at the computer, knees up to my chest sipping on a hot cocoa and listening to Jamie Grace (with TobyMac) sing ‘Hold Me’ while contemplating a recent realization.  God does not need us.  Just as adults don’t need children, God did not create us because He needs us.  The Father, Son and Spirit didn’t need us to complete them because they are complete already.  Here’s the good part about that.  They didn’t need us, but they wanted us.  They wanted to share their lives with us.  They wanted to share their love with us.  They wanted to be with us.

nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything.  Ac. 17:25 ESV

He walks with us wherever we are!

       On the other hand, we need food, water, shelter, air to breathe, main body parts that work, but most of all we need God for our very life and breath.  He created the world and all the things we need (Gen. 1; Col. 1:16), He sustains them “…he upholds the universe by the word of his power…” (Heb. 1:3 ESV; Nh. 9:6), “And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.” (Col 1:17)  He fills our need and gives us grace and mercy in our lives.  Surely, we cannot live without Him.


But my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.  Php. 4:19
Therefore let us come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.  Heb. 4:16

       So we do need God, but He doesn’t need us.  Maybe that bothers you, but I like that because it means even more to me that He wants to be with me, wants to love me, wants to communicate with me and wants to share Himself with me.  (want = desire, crave, fancy, covet, yearn for)  Wow!  He wants to be with me spend time with me!!!  The God of all the universe  amazing!  Wow God!  I’m speechless (and humbled) when I think upon this.

Thank You.

I want to be with You and share my life with You too!



          A few great lines from “Hold Me”, sung to God:
             Oh, I love the way you hold me, by my side you'll always be
             You take each and every day, make it special in some way
             I love the way you hold me, in your arms I'll always be
             You take each and every day, make it special in some way