and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Teenagers



       As a teen I chose to take roads that were considered lawful, following the rules of my parents, society, and my own high standards.  To most people I was considered a ‘good’ girl who never got into trouble.  I think because of that I have great difficulty accepting when my teens do not always make the same choices.  It bothers me to see them headed down roads that lead to trouble, sorrow, long term consequences and where they could even get physically hurt, but I can only advise (which means they don’t always listen).

       I guess all parents go through that, and it is probably the reason why the saying ‘hindsight is perfect’ is still used today.  And I’m sure the Lord feels the same way when His children chose the ‘bad’ roads of life that lead to trouble, sorrow, long term consequences and possible harm.  Do you ever wonder why you don’t find rest?  I used to, but I kind of understand now.  See, whether you are godly or ungodly, troubles will come your way.

(Jesus to disciples) …In the world you shall have tribulation, but be of good cheer. I have overcome the world.  Jh. 16:33  (thlipsis- tribulation- pressure affliction, anguish, burdened, persecution, trouble)
For He makes His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.  Mt. 5:45


       But no matter what comes our way, we can determine the path we take, even through the hard times.  That path can include the Lord in part, step by step, or not at all.  And that choice leads to erratic peace, complete inward peace, or little peace, in that order.  Of those three choices, I hope to remain in a state of complete inward peace which means I need to walk step by step with the Lord, on the path He has chosen for me, not on the path I would chose for myself and which has so often gotten me into worse trouble.

Yet the Lord pleads with you still:  Ask where the good road is, the godly paths you used to walk in, in the days of long ago.  Travel there, and you will find rest for your souls.  But you reply, “No, that is not the road we want!”  Jer. 6:16 TLB

       So the Lord says to us, ask which is the good (godly) road and travel that one.  In other words, we need to ask the Lord which way to go first.  Then we need to act on that information by choosing to walk that road.  If we walk that road with the Lord each step of the way, we may just find the rest we are looking for and so desperately need.

Or we can make the childish (or teenager choice)

     No!  I want to go my own way!!!


He has shown you, O man, what is good.
And what does Jehovah require of you but to do justice and to love mercy and
to walk humbly with your God?
Mic. 6:8