and the One who walks with me on it.

Monday, February 04, 2013

With Us Through It All



       Though I tend to like modern worship songs, I still have some old favorite hymns: Amazing Grace, How Great Thou Art, and one I’ll always remember singing the night I was born again, “Be Not Afraid”.  That song is based on scripture found in Isaiah 43:1,2:

But now so says Jehovah who created you, O Jacob, and He who formed you, O Israel; Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; you are Mine.


When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned; nor shall the flame kindle on you.

       Over the years it has brought me much comfort thinking about a God who would be with me ‘through thick and thin’.  For many years I did not understand why He would love me enough to stick around, especially with my penchant for ignoring Him when I didn’t get my own way.  Yet, true to His Word, He has never left or forsaken me (Dt. 31:6; Heb. 13:5) even during those times I was sure He had!

       Just in case you have any idea this scripture is only for Israel, remember that born again believers are Abraham’s seed (explained more here).  In this scripture, God reminds us that He formed us (as a potter), that He redeemed us as no one else could (explained more here), He calls us out by our name (a personal thing) and says we are His.  His!  Not just the kid of any ‘Joe Blow’, but a bona fida kid of the King of Kings, Creator, Father God (Gal. 3:26).

       Our most powerful Father (Ps. 62:11; Jer. 10:12) is the One who says He will be with us even if we are walking through the raging rivers that threaten to overwhelm us.  Many of life’s problems are overwhelming, but the Lord promises to be with us through each one.  His care and protection will be with us as we walk through the burning flames of trials in our lives.  He will not leave us alone, or run away. (Remember He walked in the fiery furnace with His faithful followers Dan. 3:25) He will protect our lives, if not our physical bodies, than our spirits which will live forever with Him.

 

       Honestly, I can admit to not feeling Him around during most of my trials pre-2006, feeling completely overwhelmed and like He had abandoned me.  Obviously He wasn’t answering my prayers because He didn’t want to (I believed).

       In reality, He was just waiting for me to acknowledge He was with me, to lean completely on Him and trust that He would get me through all the pain.  Looking back I surely see how He never left me: He was with me through it all. 




If we are His children, He promises to never leave or forsake us.
                 He will be with us through every thing we go through,
                                    big and small.