and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, February 15, 2013

Conversation with a Friend

       This morning I got to talk to my bestest friend.  As we get older, it becomes more difficult to keep communication lines open, but we will always remain friends.  It is so good to hear her voice.  I only wish we lived closer so I could see her more often, but at least there are telephones.  So we spoke for a while and then we had to hang up and I realized I’ve been missing adult discussion time lately.  (Gotta do something about that!)

       Of course, that gets me thinking how much I miss just talking with my friends- especially since our lives are busy with, well, you know- everything.  I wish we could just stand on the transporter pad and zap over for a visit whenever we want to, so we can talk face to face.  That gets me thinking about Moses.  In His Word the Lord said this:

And Jehovah would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend. And he turned again to the camp. But his servant, Joshua the son of Nun, a young man, did not leave the middle of the tabernacle.  Ex. 33:11

       Jehovah spoke to Moses as a man speaks to his friend.  How do I speak with my best friend?  First, we get comfortable, stop distractions (like tv) and then give our complete attention to each other.  Then I listen and she speaks or visa versa.  We discuss whatever topic, share thoughts, views, opinions, beliefs, feelings, etc.  Sometimes we agree, sometimes we agree to disagree.

       We laugh, we joke, we get mad, we cry, we open up our hearts and ‘let it hang out’ knowing the other person loves us and will not stop loving us because of anything we shared.  We question, try to understand, advise, chasten, “faithful are the wounds of a friend…” (Pr. 27:6), cheer up, encourage and verbally remind each other how much we care.  Nothing can be hidden when we are face to face because we see every line, furrow, sadness, and attempt at concealment.

       Best of all, I just love being with her, spending time with her; my precious, funny, extraordinary inside and out friend.  When we are together I see her heart- and let me tell you, it is a masterpiece of beauty.  Being with her is better than chocolate AND ice cream!  In her company I find the peace of a longtime and loving friendship.  I cherish all the memories we have.

       It also makes me a little sad, because that’s the same kind of face to face friendship I want with the Lord too, and I don’t always strive to make it happen.  I know He’s always waiting, but I let so many things get in the way- and sometimes when we’re together there are far too many distractions.  If I want to know the Lord’s heart and know Him better, I need to change the haphazard way of my friendship toward Him and start spending more focused time in His presence.  He is, after all the bestest of all best friends.

My mind recalls your word, "Seek my face,"
so your face, LORD, I will seek.
Ps. 27:8 ISV