and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, January 06, 2013

Wipeout

(Not Me!)
       Got my bicycle tires pumped up this morning for the ride into church.  I thought it was going to be really cold, but after I got outside, it was only -2C, which isn’t too bad to ride in, but of course I knew the bike paths would be snow covered, so I already decided to avoid them.  My bags secured down, I got on the bike and started peddling.  My mind dwelt on how I’d have to be careful on the roads for snow/ ice problems when I noticed something in eye view on my helmet that shouldn’t be there.  I reached up to feel what it was when I hit the part of the driveway that holds water longer than any other, only the water had turned to ice, my tires spun out, and I fell off the bike slamming my left knee and wrist down.  Ouch.

       There wasn’t enough time to waste on pity parties because I was still determined to ride in, so I swiped the snow off myself, pulled the bike back up and walked it to the end of the driveway to a clear spot before getting back on.  About a mile away, my knee stopped hurting so I thought it would all be okay.  Once in the library and with increased walking, the pain began to increase.  It really isn’t horrible, but I’m thinking I might take some meds to help keep swelling down.

       Life is full of sorrows and grief*.  We face trouble, persecution and death (2Cor 4:8-10) while in these mortal bodies, and sometimes it seems the troubles are never ending.  We get hurt.  We fall.  Sometimes it is immediately painful and sometimes it increases over time.  Occasionally the pain comes and goes.  We just never know what this life will bring around but we do know it rains on the just and unjust (Mt. 5:45), so while on this earth, we are not exempt from troubles just because we’ve chosen Jesus.

Though we hurt, even through the hurt, the Lord never leaves us alone in our pain.  He promises He will be near- whether or not we feel Him there.
     -He heals the broken-hearted, and binds up their wounds.  Ps. 147:3  (all MKJV)
     -Jehovah is near to the broken-hearted; and saves those who are of a contrite spirit.  Ps. 34:18

We know that Jesus lifted and carried our griefs and sorrows on the cross at Golgotha.
     -Surely He has borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed Him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. Is. 53:4

We are told our trials and sufferings will make us stronger, and that when this life’s misery is ended we have a promise of new, eternal life because of the power of Almighty God.
   -But the God of all grace, He calling us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a little, He will perfect, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.  1Pt. 5:10
   -My brothers, count it all joy when you fall into different kinds of temptations, knowing that the trying of your faith works patience. But let patience have its perfect work, so that you may be perfect and entire, lacking nothing.  Jm. 1:2-4
   -…but be of good cheer. I have overcome the world.  Jh. 16:33

       Don’t get me wrong; I’m not jumping around for joy and all cheerful because of the sufferings and trials of life, but I am jumping for joy about the God who never leaves me in good or bad times- and who loves me very much (and puts up with me!!! J )  So pain in this life will come and go, increasing and decreasing; but God will remain.  And as long as we let Him in, He will be with us to the end (Mt. 28:20) for He has overcome! Halleluiah!!!




*For what has man from all his labor, and from the troubling of his heart, in which he has labored under the sun? For all his days are sorrows, and his labor sadness… Ec. 2:22,23  MKJV
Human beings born by women are short-lived and full of trouble.  Job 14:1  ISV
(Jesus promises) In the world you shall have tribulation… Jh. 16:33  MKJV