and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

What I Put On

       Some women (and men) take a lot of time figuring out what they are going to wear in the morning.  They base their decisions on what they are doing, who will see them, how they feel, or what fits to the situation in which they will be.  Not me.  I actually get up and purposely put on my clothes from the day before.  Yuck, right?!  Practical- yes!  The reason I do this is because at 6:20 in the morning, who wants to think, plus I go change into workout clothes and run 5 k on the treadmill, after which I’ll need to wash up and change into fresh clothes ready to face the day.
 
 
       What to wear, what to wear.  On the one or two days I don’t work out, I usually go for a t-shirt and jeans or jogging pants.  Obviously, comfort is my first consideration.  But something I don’t really think about putting on every day is humility because humility is a word I just don’t reflect on much.  It seems like the word has fallen into disuse- even among Christians.  In fact, if you take away the occasional pulpit sermon, I can’t recall the last time someone spoke, within my earshot, of humility.  Yet the Bible clearly indicates its importance.

 
Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender feelings of mercy, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, long-suffering,  Col. 3:12 MKJV
Put on (wear, be clothed with) humility… 1Pt. 5:5 MKJV
walk with all humility and gentleness (short paraphrase of Eph. 4:1,2)
 
        The first thing that stands out to me is that we have an active part: in other words, we can’t just leave it up to God to change us into humble people.  We are to put it on, clothe ourselves in it like when I choose to wear a particular shirt I then put my head and arms through and pull it down to cover me.  But what exactly does it mean to wear humility?  Does it mean I think I am garbage, that I am the lowest on the earth?  Does it mean I just never think of myself?  Does it mean that I stop thinking the world revolves around me and my needs?  To simplify, I do know it means to put my head and arms through to cover me.

       Great, but in practicality, how do I put humility on?  Remember, Jesus was humble (Php. 2:8) and we are supposed to be like Him (1Jh 2:6; 1Cor. 11:1).  Affliction helps (Dt. 8:3), though I don’t really want to put that one on; still it does happen and tends to remind us of our humble place.  Read all of Col. 3 and there are several points Paul brings up that would help: 

Keep in mind we were all sinners bound for God’s wrath (v.5,6).  Remember our old nature and its ways, as well as our new nature (Col. 3:10; Eph. 4:24) and how we are supposed to live (re: how we fail to live up to holy standards) (v.8-10).
Also consider that God made the universe (Gen. 1:1+) AND us (v.10) so we are really small compared to Him.
In addition, God does not treat us with partiality (Acts 10:34)- for salvation is for all who truly believe (v.11,12) and each of us must surrender to His Word and what He wants for us (v. 12-17) which we also fail to do.

       With viewing ourselves as the sinners we were and are, as mere mortal men (Heb. 2:6) who still struggle with holy living, we need to throw ourselves on the mercy and grace of our Savior daily- hourly- every second we breathe, for it is only in Him we have life (Jh. 14:6).  Seeing ourselves this way, and remembering that despite everything God has given us and done for us yet we still fail- epically- and remembering all the times He picked us back up, brushed off the dirt and continued to walk with us, these things should help us to put on humility.  It might not be the most comfortable thing to wear...
                                                                                          but...

What are you wearing tomorrow? 
I’m gonna try to remember to put on two shirts!