and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Power Outage

       My daughter and I drove home in a snow storm on Sunday evening.  It was a very nerve- racking drive, not because of the snow, but because of the speed inconsistent drivers who loved to throw on their brakes for no apparent reason.  By the time I got to the last couple miles I was finally relaxing enough to become unobservant about the houses around me.  They were in the dark.  It was after I turned the corner on the last quarter mile that the absence of street lights
                                                                        alerted me to the fact there was a power outage.

       Yuck!  Who wants to be home without electricity?  No electronics and no lights to read by.  Fortunately for us we live in the age of led lighting which our house has plenty of in the form of flashlights and hanging/ standing lamps.  As long as you have batteries- all is good- and led lighting is easy on the batteries.

       My neighbour reminded me today that some people are not so good without electricity.  Her hubby was very antsy and frustrated.  Luckily she had an e-book device he could read.  Thinking about the situation made me wonder what will happen if the electricity is gone (for good) and all our devices stop working.  We are so used to cordless phones, tvs,  cell phones, computers, ipods and tablets, mp3s, game systems, ebooks and many other devices that keep us amused, in communication, etc that we don’t know what to do with ourselves when they are not available.  One day we may just find out, and what then?