and the One who walks with me on it.

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Slushy Drive


        It's a bit slushy out here today, but we are on the way to London to have my family Christmas. It will be a great time although I just realized I forgot a gift for the newest addition to our family- my nephew's baby. Oops! Well, I've been forgetful on those types of issues for many years, so people expect it anyway. Of course, I haven't finished my ornaments either, so I'm packed up here in the back of the van with my laptop for blogging and my bags of craft supplies to work on when I'm done.

        Anyway... Back on topic. Snow may look pretty and makes for some romantic moments occasionally, but snow isn't so pretty when it's on the roads causing potential accidents and I particularly don't like slush. Earlier this year we bought a 'new to us' used van and thought the tires have good tread, they obviously are not good in the snow/ slush as I discovered Boxing Day. Yikes! But we'll be okay today because the roads are only wet and not so bad.

        Splat, that nasty truck just sprayed us with slush heavy enough it made a loud noise, and oh boy, there's a car in the ditch- but the cops are there to deal with it. I hope the people are okay. Really, I have always loved snow, but I would love it better if it would only snow on the ground and stay off the sidewalks and roads. I mean, God can do miracles, so He could do that for me, couldn't He? Well, He hasn't yet, so I'm not holding my breath!
 
        How can something so pretty, and uniquely special like snow, become so dangerous? Snow is so delicate that it quickly changes form depending on it's environment. I guess this also reflects in our own lives. Sometimes the environment around us can be difficult to endure and instead of pressing in to God and His strength, we allow our environment to transform us into mush, and that is dangerous to our spirits and our relationships.
And He said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore I will rather glory in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may overshadow me. 2Cor. 12:9 MKJV
        Paul is writing about the source of His strength, that in His trials and difficulties, in his pain and suffering He found that when he was weak, then Christ in Him was strong (v. 10). Paul didn't let his environment transform him to slush because he knew he could rely on the inestimable strength of Almighty God to get him through the tough times. "Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might" (Eph. 6:10) Paul knew his strength, and so should we. We don't have to let life turn us into mush because greater is He in us, than he that is in the world (1Jh. 4:4).