and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, December 28, 2012

Resolution

       Just a few days away from the New Year, I am thinking about making a resolution- something I don’t do very often.  Though I have been eating better, I think I want to eat healthier yet.  Wheat and milk (in liquid form) no longer seem to agree with my digestive system so I’m going to further cut them out.  This is good for everyone around me too as the repercussions of these two things in my diet become quite stinky- if you know what I mean!  But food and drink are not what I actually want to make a resolution about.

       It is the other food that my spirit ‘digests’ that I want to resolve to change: the things I hear, see, feel, smell, taste.  Our senses are constantly being used everyday.  They fill our minds with experiences- both good and bad.  It is of these that most of our memories are made and on which most of our thoughts dwell.  Although I don’t have Scriptures for them all, these are two that speak of three of the senses.  O taste and see that the LORD is good...” (Ps. 34:8) “…and they shall hear my voice...” (Jh. 10:16)

       Though I have been more careful about the things that pass through my lips, I have not been as careful with the things that pass through my mind.  Most movies and tv shows have questionable material that can feed my lustful side.  Books and reading material can lead me into a realm of fantasy that is unhealthy and anti-holiness.  Feelings provoked by these things cause further delving into sin.  Then I wonder why my relationship with God is a struggle, why my flesh wins more than loses and I can’t seem to shake certain sins.  Duh!

       Just like what we feed our bodies is reflected in our physical health, so what we feed our souls and spirits is reflected in our spiritual health.  As we’ve heard many times, “garbage in, garbage out” or in other words, if all we see, hear etc is garbage, then how we act, think and speak will be garbage-like.  The repercussions of an unhealthy diet of worldly values, attitudes, ideas, feelings, beliefs, goals, and views will cause us to become ‘stinky’ in sin like David when he says, “My wounds stink…” (Ps. 38:5).

 
       So I will try to be more careful about what I am watching and listening to.  If I can’t leave the situation for whatever reason, I can always close my eyes and distort my hearing, or pull out my Bible and read.  And I can choose to NOT: not watch, not be where I have to listen, not pick up that book or look at those magazines, etc.  Instead I will choose more often to read the Word, get in God’s presence, pray, praise, and meditate on Him and His Word.  These things will be healthier eating for my spirit, and that can only result in better spiritual health for this New Year.

Your Words were found, and I ate them; and Your Word was to me the joy and gladness of my heart; for I am called by Your name, O Jehovah, the God of Hosts.  Jer. 15:16 (both MKJV)
(Jesus said) It is the Spirit that makes alive, the flesh profits nothing. The words that I  speak to you are spirit and are life.  Jh. 6:63