and the One who walks with me on it.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Best Laid Plans, and all that!

       It all should have worked like clockwork.  7:45am, leave for bus stop, 8:00am drive to church, work on problem in library, 8:30ish start on project there and get home by 9:30 so I could get my blog post done at a reasonable time.  Instead, Nate got up late and we had to go to his alternate bus stop.  Then the traffic was annoying though I still managed to get to the church at a reasonable time.  The computer files didn’t align with the problem I was working on.  Three other problems needed to be resolved in the meantime.  Something went wonky with the telephone which required a check from tech support.

       As I went through stacks of books trying to input specific information, some of the books lacked barcodes, and a few weren’t even in the system- more things to fix.  By the time I got done everything I needed to do and left, it was almost noon, and since I didn’t get breakfast due to late timing, I ate just before I sat down here at the computer.  Now I’m wondering how often our plans ever go through flawlessly.  My best guess is- never.

There are many purposes* in a man's heart, but the counsel of Jehovah shall stand.  Pr. 19:21 MKJV
A man's heart plans his way, but Jehovah directs his steps.  Pr. 16:9 MKJV
Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts* shall be established.  Pr. 16:3
The LORD bringeth the counsel of the heathen to nought: he maketh the devices* of the people of none effect.  Ps. 33:10

       Sure we can plan, but that doesn’t mean our plans will work out the way we want.  Man, whose days are like vapor (Jm. 4:14) can’t really determine if his plans will work out- or not.  The truth is we don’t even know if we will be here tomorrow or not.  God is not like us in this way though: He was in the beginning (Rev. 1:8), there is nothing hidden from Him (Heb. 4:13) and He knows all, even our minds and hearts (Rev. 2:23).  Though we cannot guarantee anything, the Lord can, for His counsel WILL stand.  That is why we should bring our plans to Him, because He knows!  And the Lord can make plans fall apart if He wants to.

 
       We make our plans believing them to be right, often without even consulting the Lord.  All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes; But Jehovah weigheth the spirits.(Pr. 16:2)  Some of us even try to hide our plans of sin from Jehovah (Is. 29:15) like He won’t see them (just a little gossip after all).  Not only will He see them, but He will see our motives behind them and they will ultimately be exposed (1Cor. 4:5).

       Anyway, after this morning, I think I’ll try a new tactic.  Perhaps I’ll sit down with the Lord every evening and talk to Him about tomorrow, see if He wants any input before I make plans.  Then I’ll ask Him to check the plans over for any adjustments He may want.  Maybe if I do that first, I won’t find my plans falling apart by so many unexpected things. 

Ah, the best laid plans



*H4284- contrivance: plans, plots, devices, intentions