and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, November 09, 2012

Wisdom of a Parent

       When I was a child, I thought like a child.  Mom and Dad would take care of all my necessities.  Life was fairly easy and decisions were few.  As a young teen, I began to see that my parents really didn’t know everything, and sometimes they just didn’t understand anything important or what life was like for me.  Occasionally, they even made mistakes.  In my later teen years I believed there was very little they actually knew especially about life and how I had to live.  I questioned their wisdom and certainly didn’t believe they had my best interests at heart.

       As a parent I realize how much we try to do it right, but fail in so many ways.  I also see how life experience is worth all the knowledge you think you have.  I understand that each child is unique as is each parent and thus every relationship must be approached by a different angle thus being more complicated than I ever imagined.  There are no set rules that work for every child.   And now, I am the parent who doesn’t know or understand; but I also see how my utmost concern is what is best for them- because I love them.

       These thoughts are running through my mind this morning as I think back a few weeks ago when I was speaking with Abba, Father.  He was telling me things that I ‘felt’ unprepared to hear or receive.  The old “I’m not worthy.  Who am I?  There are better choices than me,” words were coming out of my mouth, and I guess He’d had enough.  “Do you think I’m stupid, that I would make the wrong decision?” He spoke sternly.  Oops

Daniel answered and said, Blessed be the name of God for ever and ever: for wisdom and might are his:  Dan. 2:20
O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!  Rom. 11:33
Great is our Lord, and mighty in power; His understanding is infinite. Ps. 147:5 ASV

       Immediately I realized my questioning was wrong as I was actually questioning His wisdom- God’s wisdom- the One who created the entire universe- and I cowered convicted on the floor.  Who was I to think He did not know exactly what was going on everywhere and acting like He didn’t understand me?

       I am the child in this relationship, and He is the parent- but as parent He truly does know everything, understand everything, and He doesn’t make mistakes.  God did not err when he made me, when He allowed certain things in my life, and in the call He has on my life.  He knows what is needed, by whom, and when.

(Job replied) …But how can a mortal be righteous before God?  Though one wished to dispute with him, he could not answer him one time out of a thousand.  His wisdom is profound, his power is vast.  Who has resisted him and come out unscathed.  Job 9:1-4 NIV
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith Jehovah. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.  Is. 55:8,9  ASV


       God’s wisdom goes far beyond our own, far beyond what we can even imagine.  We might be able to answer one question out of a thousand He asks, so how can we dispute that He knows best.  Can we get away with resisting Him forever; will there not be repercussions?  I’m trying really hard these days to just say, “Yes Lord”, and I’m hoping one day I will really be at total peace with that answer.  For now, I’m just trying to stop questioning Him on everything.  After all, He’s my Dad and He only wants what’s best for me.  He has my future in mind.

We may not always understand, but we can trust God our Father, that He always wants what is best for us- because He loves us.


For I know the thoughts that I think toward you,
saith the LORD,
thoughts of peace, and not of evil*…
Jer. 29:11



*(ra raah- bad, adversity, affliction,
calamity, distress, grief, harm, heavy,
hurt, misery, sorrow, trouble)