and the One who walks with me on it.

Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Normal + Justified


       This will be my 416th post since I started in 2011 and I just really paid attention to something today on the word processor I type these entries on (yes, I’m a bit slow! J ).  There’s a box in the top left corner that indicates what formatting you use.  For me, standard practice is normal + justified.  I’m not quite sure what the normal stands for, but the justified is what keeps both sides straight, and that visually appeals to me.

       I’m thinking, if it was a reference to me, it would probably say abnormal + justified.  After all, we are all unique in so many ways, and it’s supposed to be that way, probably to make life more interesting.  Plus, who wants to live in a world filled with people who act, think like me- we’d drive each other crazy!  What is normal anyway: usual, standard, regular, ordinary, typical, common, average...?

       Do you want to be average, common or ordinary?  Perhaps, but even if you do, you aren’t.  Somewhere you have an odd quirk and maybe you just hide it well from others.  Or maybe everything about you seems average, but you sing awesome opera in the shower.  I can’t do that!  Personally, I don’t think ‘normal’ exists.  As a wise person once said, “normal is just a setting on the dryer”.

       What about the justified though, how am I justified.  Well, the truth is I am a sinner, born into sin passed on from Adam (Rom. 5:12+), and was raised sinning all my days- and I was considered a ‘good’ kid!  That sin kept a barrier between God and me for many years, and condemned me to an eternal life in hell when I died.  And so it was like I was standing in front of a judge with blood on my hands, guilty of many crimes that I certainly did commit. 


For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;  Rom. 3:23
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Rom. 6:23


       The judge was about to sentence me for my crimes, when I cried out for help to Jesus, and He showed up immediately.  He told the judge He would take my place and cited legal precedence for the act.  He took my sentence on Himself, by the blood pouring out from His nail pierced hands.  I was justified, cleared of guilt, pardoned of my crime, and freed from the punishment I deserved*.  Amazing, what Jesus did for me- all because He loved me (Eph. 2:4,5)I am justified.

I hope you are too!


There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.  Rom. 8:1,33
Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.  Rom. 5:1,2


*Justification is a pronouncement to clear the guilty; to pardon or release from guilt and deserved punishment, accepting righteousness by Jesus Christ’s punishment.