and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, October 05, 2012

These Hands

       These are my hands.  I was just thinking today how amazing God is to give me two extraordinary instruments such as these.  Sure, they look ordinary, and almost everyone has a pair, but I think the fact we have these versatile appendages is a blessing we don’t consider often enough.  With these hands I have washed my baby, wiped her bum, dried her tears, fixed her booboos, fed her, dressed her, held her, disciplined her and loved her.  With these hands I have fixed the car, re-arranged the house, cleaned, cooked, eaten, written, created works of art, and a zillion other things.  God has blessed me with these hands.

       Jesus talked about things our hands could do.  He told his original 12 disciples to “heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils:(Mt. 10:1,8) and they returned to tell Him all they had done (Lk. 9:10).  Later, Jesus sent out 70 of His followers to heal the sick (Lk 10:1) and they returned in joy saying the devils were subject to them through Jesus (Lk. 10:17).  According to Mark, Jesus said those who believe shall “cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.(Mt. 16:17,18)

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works (deeds) that I do shall he do also; and greater (in number) works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.  Jh. 14:12

       I’m sure these hands can do anything Jesus wants them to, miracles included since He’s the one doing the miracles anyway, and some of those deeds would be truly awesome.  But I’m sure Jesus wanted us to do more than ‘just’ miracles.  These hands should be feeding the poor, visiting the sick or in prison, clothing the naked, and giving to the needy, (Mt. 25:35-40; Lk. 6:38).  What this means for today is touching the lives of others by the ‘works’ of our hands, these hands that God gave to us.

       We can reach out a hand in welcome, we can give a hug for comfort, we can furnish drink and food to the needy, and clothes to those without.  We can pick up the phone to call a sick person, drive a cancer patient to the hospital, open the door for the disabled, and carry groceries in for the neighbour.  We can pat a co-worker on the back for encouragement, clap to show our delight at another’s success, grasp the hand of a person grieving a loss, and comfort those in distress.  We can clasp our hands together in desperate prayer for one another.  There are so many things these hands of ours can do.  They are extraordinary, versatile instruments that can be used for God’s glory every day.  Let’s utilize them often.

whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
1Cor. 10:31