and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, August 16, 2012

On the Jog- Another Confession

       In 2008 I started exercising to improve my heart that had been weakened by chemo.  By late 2010 I purchased a treadmill and began jogging six days a week working my way up to 5 km daily.  Then I started increasing the speed at which I was jogging.  I began at 4.3 m/hr and worked up to 5.3 m/hr; but I’ve never been able to break that barrier though I want to.  No matter how much I try to increase either the incline or the speed even by .1, I can’t.  That has always bothered me.

       So it was as I was jogging on vacation down the winding roads watching the water peak through the cottages that I felt (in the spirit) that I should jog for an hour instead of just the 5 km.  Now, I have never done that so I didn’t even think it would be possible.  I mean, if I can’t even increase the speed by .1, then how could I possibly jog for 24 min. more than usual?  The Lord assured me He would help, and then as I jogged, He began to teach me about myself.

       All the time I was trying to increase my speed has just ‘worn me out’ physically and prevented me from going the distances that I needed to.  It was my pride getting in the way- wanting to be faster: isn’t faster better?  Shouldn’t I want to be doing God’s work now- perhaps years ago- faster- in my timing?
Pretty arrogant, isn’t it L?

       The truth is, God has made us all different and my energy levels are my own.  In fact, I know an 80+ woman who has more energy than me at 45.  The point is, she needs to function with what God has given her, and I need to function with what He has given me.  So, instead of pushing myself beyond what He wants from me, I should use what He’s given me and just do what I’m called to do: be patient and finish the race.

I have fought the good fight. I have completed the race. I have kept the faith.  2Tm. 4:7 ISV
let us run with patience the race that is set before us… Heb. 12:1
You know that in a race all the runners run but only one wins the prize, don't you? You must run in such a way that you may be victorious. Everyone who enters an athletic contest practices self-control in everything. They do it to win a wreath that dies, but we to win one that never dies. That is the way I run, with a clear goal in mind  1Cor. 9:24-26 ISV

       Paul writes much about us running the race of life in Christ, and though he talks about running to win in the race to the finish line of Heaven and Jesus, winning isn't being fastest, but finishing the course, and the one who finishes becomes the victor.  In jogging that day I learned that instead of focusing effort on speeding up God’s work in my life, I should focus on running the way He wants me to in order that I might finish the course.  Paul said finish, not fastest.

       So, though I didn’t think I could run that long, the Lord gave me the strength I needed, and I am confident He will do the same in my life.  Best of all, I learned it wasn’t how fast I ‘ran’ but that I kept going patiently at the pace the Lord wanted me to (which was less stressful on my body) and I ‘crossed the finish line’ of the hour’s time in tears thinking about how good and patient the Lord is with me while I continue to learn that He knows best, and has my best interests at heart.

To Remember:

       Finish not fastest.