and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, May 25, 2012

Twenty Four Years

       I remember the day my fiancĂ© told everyone at church that I’d accepted his proposal.  All of a sudden fear came over me and I wanted to bolt.  Seriously, I thought, I’ve never even been with any person other than family for even 24 hours, how would I possibly survive a lifetime.  We were married in 1988 on a warm summer day outside in one of our favorite places- Point Pelee National Park.  It didn’t go exactly as planned, but none of that mattered because I was marrying the man I loved.

Hubby when I hadn't given him any grey hair yet!
       This August will be our 24th anniversary, and I didn’t know if we’d make it 24 hours!  But here we are.  My husband knows me ‘warts and all’ and he still loves me.  I know him ‘warts and all’, but what I didn’t expect on that day I said, “I do” is that I would love him more everyday because the love would continue to grow.  We’ve been through a lot together, good and bad, and I can’t imagine a man who could put up with me as well as he has! J J J

       It was the same with the Lord and me 29 years ago.  We were ‘married’ in a private ‘ceremony’ in the middle of a packed arena, and my life was never the same.  My love for Him grew everyday, for about the first six months, then times of backsliding came in.  Still, over the years it amazed me how the love could continue to grow as I got to know Him more.  The Lord’s love has been complete from the beginning, and what a comfort it is to know deep down inside that He loves me dearly- it makes life worth living.

       The Lord knows me better than my best friend, my husband and my family put together.  He also knows the thoughts (Ps. 94:11) I don’t share with anyone.  He sees all my ‘warts’ (Ps. 33:13) and still loves me.  Even in the times I was so angry at Him for not answering my prayers the way I wanted, He never abandoned me (Dt. 31:8).  In fact, every now and then I wonder why He ever put up with me, and then I recall His great love for me (Rom. ,39).  Who am I to deserve that kind of love?  “…What is man, that thou art mindful of him?...”  (Heb. 2:6)

       And the love keeps growing, daily as I sit in His presence and take the time to get to know (Jer. 31:34) Him better (Col. 1:10).  Who knew?  There is no way I would have understood this kind of relationship when I first knew Him.  My ideas on our relationship were still too immature back then, but now I realize what a precious gift it is to be in an amazing relationship with an awesome God.  There is no better life.

Precious Lord, thank You for being with me everyday, and for loving me.  Thank You for guiding my steps to a deeper understanding of Who You are to me.

I love You!