and the One who walks with me on it.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

To See, or Not To See, (that is the question)

       It’s and I’m already at work.  Of course, I work in the same place I live, for I am the butler of an important man.  My first duty is to prepare for when my employer wakes up.  I set out his clothing, open the newspaper on his table, begin cooking his breakfast, and squeeze the orange juice.  As I leave the house in the cool morning dawn to prepare for the day, I feel uncomfortable, but I’m not sure why.  Most days I walk the same path, but this time I gaze upward and what I see terrifies me.

       There is a vast army surrounding our town!  We weren’t at war yesterday when I went to bed!  What has happened?  There is equipment out there that is aimed to kill us.  What did we do?  I begin to panic and run into the house to tell my employer.  In my haste I stumble over the words to tell him and he finally understands the predicament we are in, but instead of being frightened or anxious, he is very calm.  I do not understand how he can be that way since he now sees what I am seeing.  “What do we do?” I cry.

         He reaches out his hand to squeeze my shoulder and says, “Don’t be afraid, it will be okay.  We have more men on our side than that.”  What does he mean?  There are no friendly soldiers here.  None of our troops are armed and ready to defend us in battle for they are all in other cities.  All I see is the vast number of enemy soldiers ready to kill.  My employer knows I am fearful, so he prays for me, not that I be protected, but that I would see!  See what, for I surely see the enemy waiting to destroy.  This time when I look up, I see another vast army around us, and they appear to be on fire but not consumed!  They are ready to fight for us.

       My employer prays for the enemy to be blinded (by delusion) and we lead them to the capital as PoW’s.  Once there, he prays for them to see, and they do...  I guess what I learned from today is that we see only natural things from our natural eyes, but there is another kingdom we do not see with our natural eyes but our ‘spiritual eyes’, and that sight is only given by Jehovah God, our Creator.  My employer Elisha knew this and that is why he was at peace when I was not.  Perhaps I can change so that I remain at peace. 
(*the real story)

                                                   *  *  *  *  *
       We are all guilty of looking out the window of life at trials and tribulations with our natural eyes because that is what we are used to.  We see large mountains looming ahead for us to traverse, vast enemies surrounding us, arrows aimed at our hearts, the world crashing down around us, etc.  But what is God seeing?  He sees a mountain path that He helps us up, an army of angels to defend us, His shield to protect us, and us, upheld and protected in the palm of His hand.  Perspective.  Just like Elisha’s servant, I think we need to start seeing more from God’s perspective than our own.  Just my opinion.




*Therefore sent he thither horses, and chariots, and a great host: and they came by night, and compassed the city about. And when the servant of the man of God was risen early, and gone forth, behold, an host compassed the city both with horses and chariots. And his servant said unto him, Alas, my master! how shall we do? And he answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them. And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.
And when they came down to him, Elisha prayed unto the LORD, and said, Smite this people, I pray thee, with blindness. And he smote them with blindness according to the word of Elisha. And Elisha said unto them, This is not the way, neither is this the city: follow me, and I will bring you to the man whom ye seek. But he led them to Samaria. And it came to pass, when they were come into Samaria, that Elisha said, LORD, open the eyes of these men, that they may see. And the LORD opened their eyes, and they saw; and, behold, they were in the midst of Samaria.  2Kn. -20