and the One who walks with me on it.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Who is my brother or sister?

       I grew up in a dysfunctional family like most people I knew, yet no matter what my family situation was like there was one thing that never changed.  I loved my siblings very much, even when they drove me crazy, never let me use the washroom, or embarrassed or scared the heck out of me.  Even when I smashed a piece of bologna in my sister’s face, or was angry at their rule breaking, or was jealous of their looks or success, I soon returned to loving them.  Regardless of our differences, I will always love them dearly.

       The reason I say this is because although I love my siblings very much, I feel a greater bond with my forever brothers and sisters- my siblings in Christ Jesus.  (Over time the Lord has transformed my heart this way.)  Jesus basically said the same thing:

There came then his brethren and his mother, and, standing without, sent unto him, calling him. And the multitude sat about him, and they said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren without seek for thee. And he answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren? And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother. Mr. 3:31-35 

       Where ever I go, I love all my brothers’ and sisters’ faces; their diversity in looks and personality, even their flaws and challenges of character.  I truly feel like they are a part of me, of my body, and that I cannot live complete without them.  It pains me to see one of them hurt because they are a part of me and so I hurt.  When they are rejoicing over blessings, I feel thrilled for them for the same reason.  It doesn’t matter to me AT ALL what denomination any of us are, for we are ONE BODY in the headship of Christ Jesus. (Rom. 12:4,5)

       No matter what part of the world you live in, what language you speak, how tall or short you are, no matter your age, whether you are considered a beauty or unattractive, if you are a genius or failed in school, no matter if you are wealthy or don’t have two cents to call your own, if you are truly born again then you are my brother or my sister, and you are valuable to me.  I need you to make me complete.

       And if I ever have the pleasure of meeting you on this present earth, then I will be honoured to know and spend time with you.  If we cannot meet until after our Lord’s return, then I look forward to having all eternity to get to know you.  Thank you for being part of my family.  Thank you for bringing a smile to my face when I think of how I… we belong to the greatest family in existence.  Thank You, Lord, for each and every one of my forever brothers and sisters.  I appreciate them all.

Hugs and love to you my family!