and the One who walks with me on it.

Monday, January 02, 2012

New Years Resolutions


       Most of the resolutions that I heard are people saying they would become healthier which implies better diets, working out and taking care of oneself.  The rest of the resolutions were about believing or improving ones mental health.  Altogether, I did not hear one person say they wanted to restore/ work on relationships or improve their character.  No one said they wanted to help more people or do more for others.  Our human nature is selfish and we think of ourselves first so it doesn’t surprise me that almost all resolutions are self motivated.

       There is nothing wrong with improving ourselves; the problem comes in when it is our main focus or reason for doing anything.  Are we going to church to improve ourselves (ex: “I got a lot out of the service today Pastor…”) or to worship our Lord and learn to obey Him more?  Are we serving in ministry to advance our reputation or praying longer prayers to develop a rep for spirituality?  Are we trying to be healthier simply so we can look/ feel better or are we doing it because we are God’s temple and He wants us to be holy?


Would you consider making these resolutions?

I will love the Lord more by spending more time with Him every day,
   -reading my Bible, worshipping and praying.
I will love all humans even if they live alternate lifestyles to what I do.
I will obey all the laws of this country- including speed limits.
I will share my financial blessings daily with those who aren’t so privileged.
I will encourage five people everyday even when I don’t ‘feel’ like it.
I will love my spouse and children in ways they need to feel loved.
I will sit with the homeless, the prostitutes and criminals,
   -sharing Christ’s love through my time, care and kindness toward them.
I will open my eyes to see the hurt and struggles of others and do something to relieve them.
I will think more of others and less of myself.

Jesus did that, didn’t He?!?!



Jesus said, “The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed; To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD.”
Luke ,19 NKJ