and the One who walks with me on it.

Wednesday, January 04, 2012

January 3, 1995

       It was seventeen years ago yesterday that I lost my father: he was 67 and I was soon to turn 28.  His name was John and though I lived at home until I was 19ish, I really didn’t know him very well.  Most of my life he worked more hours than I remember him being at home (3 jobs will do that) and we did not take family vacations.  As a result I didn’t know many stories about him until he was sick near the end of his life.

       He told me a few of the stories.  One time they left a groom tied to a chair in the middle of the road with only a flashlight to shine for protection the night before his wedding. There was an interesting story of how he had to fix the communication tower for the police and the unaware police misunderstanding him running into the station carrying his toolbox.  As a teacher he taught drivers ed. and would pretend to be asleep while the students drove so they would be more comfortable!  Those are really the only stories I remember him telling me.

       The story that makes me sad although it was a funny story came from a man I worked with in my twenties.  He was a student where my dad taught high school, specifically tech courses.  When he found out who my dad was, I could see genuine respect and care for this man he knew only as his teacher.  He told me about a time when my dad rigged the chairs of the students to give them small electrical shocks when they misbehaved, and they thought it was hysterical.  It made me sad to think this man knew something about my dad that I didn’t.

       How heartbreaking to think that I didn’t really know my dad and that I have very few memories of him.  Of course my only regret is not having spent time with him to know him better.  Now my only Father is the One in heaven (Mat. 6:9) and I don’t want any regrets with Him while I live or when I die.  So I will spend the time with Him getting to know Him better and making memories while we are together.  And though He already knows everything He can about me, I know He cherishes every moment we have together.

He’s my Father, and He loves me.