and the One who walks with me on it.

Saturday, November 05, 2011

Psalm 23

…Jehovah is my shepherd, I do not lack, In pastures of tender grass He causeth me to lie down, By quiet waters He doth lead me. My soul He refresheth, He leadeth me in paths of righteousness, For His name's sake,  Ps. 23:1-3  YLT

       King David was a powerful and influential man in his ‘glory’ days, but he had a humble start in life as the shepherd over his father’s sheep.  So, when we read the 23 Psalm, we know that David spent considerable time contemplating the life of shepherd and sheep.  There on the pastures, often in solitude, he developed an understanding of the Lord.  At some point David realized the parallel between his job and the Lord.  This is my paraphrase using Strong’s.

       As long as the Lord is my shepherd I shall not lack having any of my needs met (food, water, healing remedies, safety).  He causes me to rest in tender grass pastures, and by quiet water he leads/ protects/ sustains me.  He refreshes/ relieves/ restores my body and mental state, and guides me in the right path.

       I was just thinking that the sheep don’t choose their shepherd, but are given to him, kind of like the way we were given to the Lord. (John 17:6; Ps. 24:1) But the sheep can choose whether or not to follow the shepherd.  The shepherd tries his best to keep the sheep in a safe environment with food and water, under his protection, and he ministers to their ailments as best as he can.  However, a sheep can decide to wander off on his own path which is more dangerous without the protection and care of his shepherd.  Alone, this path leads to death.

       For those of us who choose to follow the Lord, we have the protection and care of our guide- the Lord Jesus Christ.  He causes us to rest in His presence, He gives us food (John ) and water (John ).  He protects and sustains us in our journey and though this doesn’t mean nothing bad will ever happen to us, it does mean He is with us to help us through the dark valleys.  How wonderful that He refreshes and restores our battered bodies and souls.

       If I am wise, I will continue to follow my Lord.  Instead of rushing around like a crazy fool I can learn to relax in His tender pastures under His watchful eye.  And in His presence daily I will find my rest.  With my Shepherd I have found a place of peace.  Come join me there.

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Is. 26:3 
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27