and the One who walks with me on it.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Time Trilogy 3

       Back in my later teenage years, a couple years after being saved, I worked part-time in a fast food establishment.  Often there was a blond girl I worked with whose name I do not remember but I do recall she did not like me very much.  I was a happy person back then, enjoying my work while working hard and trying to get along with everyone.  After months of working with her she asked me one day, “Why are you always smiling?”  That was my opportunity to tell her about Jesus.  

       With only a few words out of my mouth she told me to stop, saying that she had enough from an aunt and uncle who were always telling her she was going to hell.  Though I thought maybe they were not using the best approach, I couldn’t deny what they said was true, so I just said that if she had questions or wanted to talk about it I would be willing.

       Eventually she did ask questions, and I tried never to be ‘preachy’ but to answer to the best of my ability.  (Thank God for His mercy because I’m sure my theology back then was not so good…)  Though I left that job a few months later, I occasionally wondered if she ever responded to the Lord- still do.

Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time.  Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man. Col. 4:5,6 

       Walk/ deport oneself in wisdom toward the unsaved world, ransom (Strong’s)/ diligently observe and improve (Mat. Henry’s Com.) the time.  Let the things you say always be acceptable/ beneficial/ favourable prepared with salt that you may be aware in what way you ought to respond to every man.

       Cooking is not my talent.  Though I make edible food, it is rarely tasty.  My problem is that I have no skill for seasoning; either I put too little or the wrong stuff.  And I hate recipes.  I mean, what is a pinch of salt anyway.  On the TV cooking shows a pinch is five-fingers grab worth to several of those.  To me, a pinch is one two-finger grab.  Salt is one of the oldest, well known seasonings that used to be considered a critical necessity.  Today, we try to avoid it.

       Those of us who are born again are the salt of this earth.  “Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing,” (Mat. )  We should be bringing out the flavour around us.  We do this by utilizing just the right amount of salt, not too much or too little.  So with our words and actions in the world.  They should be just the right words and actions at the appropriate time; we should ‘be aware of what way we ought to respond.’

       I like to think of my words and actions being like Jesus; but do you know why He acted the way He did?  It was because He genuinely loved each person.  He acted with love, kindness and mercy to each ‘sinner’ and with tough words to the religious hypocrites who did not recognize themselves as sinners.  He was the salt that each of them needed.  We are supposed follow* Him. (*to be the same way- Strong’s) (Mat. 8:22)

We must learn to redeem the time for it is short and many perish.