and the One who walks with me on it.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Time Trilogy 1

       There are never enough hours in the day…  Isn’t that what we often say, but is it true?  Thomas Edison said, “There is time for everything.”  Who is right?  It certainly seems like I can’t get done everything that I want to get done.  Perhaps “that I want to get done” is the problem.  I rush around trying to get all the tasks done I need to- but are they truly necessary?  It is interesting to note that if a task is important enough in my estimation that I will suddenly ‘find’ the time.

       It hasn’t been easy the last couple weeks.  I know the Lord wants me to do this blog.  For a time I had a good schedule going, writing in the evening to post early the next day, but lately it seems impossible to get it done at all.  My body has been aching, my in-law visiting, parent teacher interviews, driving kids all over, mucho cleaning, and doctor appts, etc, etc.  Sitting here typing, I’m even thinking of other things I could be doing (and eating).  Why do we fill our lives up with so many tasks?  Has the Lord called us to do all the jobs we do, or have we set our own hands to tasks He never desired of us?

Think about this.  If you only had one month to live, what would become your priorities?

And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time (the hour) to awake out of sleep>: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision (forethought supply) for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof. Rom. 13:11-14

       We need to awake up out of our >spiritual torpor- numbness, inactivity, loss of (power of) motion, loss of sensation, dullness, laziness (Webster’s) for the end is closer than when we first became believers.  Throw off the acts of darkness, the worldly ways, and let us be clothed with the tools of light (Jesus is our Light).  Let us walk honestly as in His light not sinning in the dark, clothing ourselves with Christ and not always thinking of supplying our bodily needs and wants (food, drink, nice car, beautiful house, toys, success, status, power, attention, passions, admiration- to name a few). 

       How are we supposed to do this?  One step at a time- the first step is getting off the spin of this world and stepping out into the Spirit.  “This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.” (Gal. 5:16)  It’s not so easy to do, giving up on the way the world says you need to live.  They’re going to try and make you feel bad just for getting off, but we have a new, higher calling: to live for the Lord.  That doesn’t mean continuing to live like the world, or live how we think we should, but to live for Him doing the things He wants us to do.  How will we know what He wants us to do?  By spending time with Him*.

       I keep trying, and I keep falling, but I’m going to keep getting up until I get it right.  The Lord is moving me in a new direction and I think to myself, ‘if I can’t do the small amount of tasks I have now, how will I manage more?’  Well, perhaps if I release some of the things He doesn’t want me doing, I’ll have the time.  Since I am not sure what to let go of, I think I’ll just try to follow what He wants each step.  For me that will be easier- I hope. 

Walk in the Spirit Vicky…



*Reading the Word. Praying. Listening to His voice. Ask Him what He wants us to do.  Repeat…