and the One who walks with me on it.

Saturday, October 01, 2011

It’s a God Thing

       How did I know that my husband and I were meant to be together?  I prayed a lot before we even started dating because I was uncertain if it was the right time for me to embark on that part of my journey.  Then, on our first date, he gave me a single dark orange rose.  I’ve always preferred simplicity over grand gestures, but the most interesting thing was that dark orange roses were my favorite colour rose ever since my mom accidentally grew some in our front yard.  Without explaining I asked him why he got me that specific colour and he said that God had told him to.

        It was a few weeks later that I was visiting his house for the first time and I saw a flowering plant that I hadn’t seen since I was a little girl in my Grandma’s house.  I still can’t remember what they are called (though I’ve found the name several times online) but I’ll always remember the star shaped ‘plastic like’ bunches of flowers with their pungent scent.  I loved that plant and for many years (pre internet) wished I could find it somewhere but no one was able to tell me what its name was based on my description and my family didn’t remember it.  I still love it today.  It is the only plant that has survived our married years though it has been badly neglected at times.

       Ours was a short ‘courtship’ and we were soon to be married.  During a visit to my old church I sat down next to an unfamiliar man.  He mentioned something about me being a bride.  It was rather strange because we hadn’t even been talking.  That was all he said, and it made me think God was speaking through him.  (Years later I met my very best friend, and when I met her father, it was the man who made that statement.  He didn’t remember me or what he had said.)

       There were so many ‘God things’ that happened on our journey to becoming a couple.  Here’s one of the biggest ones which initiated that journey.  I had no intention of going to some rinky dink Bible College in some small town with a bunch of unknown teachers, yet that is exactly where God told me to go.  The first friend I made there was also Albert’s friend so we ended up hanging out together frequently.  Albert and I had so many things in common it was scary.

       When I look back at my whole life, I see a lot of God things in my life, some which helped me to find Him, and some that helped me become the person I am today.  He continues to do big and small things in my life.  It’s kind of neat that our God who sustains this universe and everything in it, who knows all and is everywhere, takes the time to do big and small ‘God things’ in our lives. 

He’s just really cool that way!