and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Hunger

       I just finished a handful of grapes, but I was still hungry so I went after a couple of chocolate chip cookies.  They didn’t satisfy me, so I grabbed some candy and after I polished it off, I found my tummy was still rumbling.  Chips, cheese and nuts later, my hunger remained unabated.  It wasn’t until I found some meat in the fridge and made a mini sandwich that I finally felt satisfied.  Hunger can be that way, and my body knows what it needs.

       The foods I crave in life are usually ones that are not very healthy for me:  chocolate, soft ice cream, candy, more chocolate, hard ice cream, cookies, brownies, dill pickle chips, more chocolate and ice cream.  (Weird how I don’t like chocolate ice cream, but chocolate on ice cream is terrific!)  A craving can be very intense until it is filled.

Hunger defined:  Strong’s (3983)- To pine for or crave. 
Webster’s- a craving of food by the stomach; to desire with great eagerness; to long for.

       There is one thing, rather one person whom we should hunger for.  It is the Lord our God.  We should desire more of Him in our lives and to know Him more.  All those who ‘fall in love’ have the strongest longing to get to know the one they love.  We should have the same desire to know our Lord more intimately every day.  We should hunger for it.

Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. Matt. 5:6
But cleave (cling to, follow close, pursue hard) unto the LORD your God, Josh. 23:8
(David to God) My soul followeth hard after thee: Ps. 63:8
Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Jam. 4:8
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. Matt.

       If the Lord is your treasure, then He has your heart and you should hunger for more of Him.  If you don’t hunger then you should ask yourself why.  Contrary to popular opinion, absence doesn’t make the heart grow fonder, especially with the Lord- it actually makes it forget or grow colder.  Out of sight, out of mind.  So, how do you develop a stronger desire or hunger for the Lord?

       If all your sensory input has nothing to do with the Lord (what you see, hear, read, learn, feel) then your hunger will ‘feel’ abated by that unhealthy but ‘tasty food’.  However, when you start feeding yourself healthier food, your body will be truly satisfied- and stronger for it.  So also when you start feeding yourself healthier sensory input, such as watching godly tv shows, listening to preaching and teaching, reading the Bible, studying the Word, fellowshipping with other Christians, having conversations about the Lord etc, you will develop a need/ a hunger for the Lord that will surprise you. 

From my experience anyway, this is true.  See if it is for you…