and the One who walks with me on it.

Saturday, September 17, 2011

My Dad Is Bigger Than Your Dad!

       Time was you would here those words on the playground or in the school yard at least once.  As most children, we saw our dad as the big, strong one who always took care of us and would protect us from all harm, including the bullies of life.  We had trust in who our dad was and what he would do for us, just because we were his kids.  Dad was larger than life in our younger years.

       Something you never heard children saying was, “I’m his kid.  I know I’m his kid.  I know who I am to him.  I know what I can do with his help.”  Sounds a little arrogant doesn’t it?  Not that you didn’t know these things, it just seemed silly and insignificant to brag about them when compared to the strength and superiority of our dads.

       I hear a lot of teachers saying that we need to know who we are in Christ.  Let’s agree to that point, but remember balance is always best, and in this case (in my opinion) it is best to allow the ‘other side’ to be more prominent.  What ‘side’?  The side of seeing and knowing who Abba Father, Jesus Christ, and Holy Spirit are, their omniscience (all knowing), omnipotence (all powerful), and omnipresence (all present) certainly make them the superior and only living deity in all the universe.  That is something to brag about!

       By continuing to center on who we are, we are focusing on the fragile* part of the relationship, namely the child.  Can the child ever be as trustworthy as the parent?  If we are too busy looking at us, we are no longer focusing on the strongest part of the relationship**, namely our great and mighty God.  And we are supposed to be maintaining our focus on our Lord.  (Heb. 12:2)  Over 90% of the Psalms start the first sentence focusing on the Lord God. 

       Moses and Aaron told Pharaoh the Lord said let us go, not we are God’s children so let us go.  (Ex. 5 on)  When the children of Israel lost focus on God, Joshua and Caleb tried to redirect them, almost dying for it. (Num. 14: 1-10)  When meeting Goliath in battle, David focused on the Lord winning the battle, not on his puny self. (1 Sam. 17:45-47)  Jesus focused people’s prayer on the Father. (Matt. 6:9-14)  In fact, how many times did the prophets and apostles focus their writings on who they were in God as compared to who God was in their lives?

       If you are born again/ saved, know you are now God’s child.  Get to know Him through reading your Bible (ask the Holy Spirit to help you understand before you start), spending time with Him in prayer and listening to Him speak to you, and attending a Bible believing/ following church.  Keep your eyes on the Lord (Ps. 25:15), trust Him (Pr. 3:5) and know He is able to go above and beyond what you ask or think. (Eph. 3:20)

       Stop pointing at yourself, jumping up and down and yelling, “I’m His child, I’m His child!”  Start pointing to the Father and shouting, He’s my Dad!




*LORD, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is; that I may know how frail I am. Psalm 39:4
For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away 1 Pet. 1:24
**But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.  2 Cor. 4:7 NIV