and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, August 19, 2011

The Heavens Proclaim…

       The breeze was warm, the sky was darker than I am used to- living in a city, and the quietness of the backwoods shoreline enveloped me into the night.  I looked up into the ebony sky with tiny lights of suns and planets shimmering down on me.  There were more stars up there than I could remember or imagine.  The longer I stared, the more I saw, and it seemed as if I were floating into infinity.  Inside I felt the smallness of my being in the enormous expanse of the universe within my visual range and wonderment at a Creator who is so infinite as to conceive a universe like the one I gazed upon.

The heavens are telling the glory of God; they are a marvelous display of his craftsmanship.  Day and night they keep on telling about God.  Without a sound or word, silent in the skies, their message reaches out to all the world.  (Ps. 19:1-4a TLB)


       Standing in the dark of night, the message of the stars reaches out to me and declares the awesome works of the Creator’s hands.  Each and every time I contemplate the splendor of this earth I think of God’s great power, His creativity, and His love for us, so immense, that He made such a complex and beautiful place for us to live within.

       Paul spoke about knowing God through nature in Rom. 1:19, 20:  For the truth about God is known to them instinctively; God has put this knowledge in their hearts.  Since earliest times men have seen the earth and sky and all God made, and have known of his existence and great eternal power.  So they will have no excuse… TLB

       How do we know our Creator lives?  Because we can see the works of His hands in the heavens, here on earth in the plants, seas, animals… and in the face of every person we see around us.  Such complexity and diversity could not be so perfectly formed except by One more powerful than it all.


       Lord, how wonderful You are.  Your power is great beyond all our comprehension.  All glory and honour belong to You!  Thank You for giving us such a magnificent place in which to walk on this journey.