and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Who Do You Want to See?

       One day I will go to live with the Lord and I truly look forward to being physically with Him for all eternity.  At the same time, I look forward to meeting all the believers from ages past.  If I had to pick the one believer I’d like to see the most, it would be David.  He was a passionate man who lived to seek God and do His will all while recognizing his own failings.  Here are some of the things written in the Bible about him:

 … God testified…: ‘I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do.’ (Acts   NIV  1 Sam. ) 
…the Spirit of the LORD came upon David from that day forward. (1 Sam.16:10-13)
David ... grew great, and the LORD God of hosts was with him. (2 Sam.5:10)
His [Solomon's] heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father. (1 Kg.11:4, 15:3)

So, what made David so great in God’s eyes?  Just consider his own words and you will see the heart of a man- who is after God’s heart.

When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek. (Ps. 27:8) 
Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart. (Ps. 26:2) 
I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart. (Ps. 40:8) 
Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 51:10) 
I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore. (Ps. 86:12) 
With my whole heart have I sought thee:… (Ps. 119:10) 
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. (Ps. 119:11) 
Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:  (Ps. 139:23) 

       It is always best to ‘judge’ a man based on his own words.  David’s words show him to be a man who seeks and loves the Lord with all his heart, who is humble and constantly trying to improve, who loves God’s Word and delights to follow it and not sin, who understands the forgiveness of God, and who praises God with his whole heart.  Basically, he leaves himself totally open to God.  Those are all attributes I aspire to as well. 

       Honestly though, the biggest reason I want to see him is because David loved the Lord so much he unashamedly and energetically danced and praised God without caring what anyone thought or how they would ‘see’ him.  And David danced before the LORD with all his might;… (2 Sam. 6:14)  David celebrated God.  David worshipped God with his whole being. 

I wish we could all do that!