and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Easier Said Than Done

      Have you ever read a scripture and thought:  Ugh! Are you serious?  I can’t possibly live up to those expectations!  This is one of those scriptures to me.

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honorable, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Php. 4:8  ASV)

      It talks about our thoughts, and no one I know, including myself, can follow it 100% of the time.  Today is particularly difficult for me because last night I found out one of my kids did something really, really wrong several times lately, so now I’ve got to deal with it while they face the consequences.

      When I realized how badly I was struggling to maintain my hope in the Lord (for my kid’s future) I tried to nail the concern and negativity to the cross; it didn’t work.  I thought, maybe I’ll visualize myself doing it and that will help, but all I could ‘see’ is the nail bouncing off and the problem ricocheting back onto me.  Even worship service didn’t help. 

      I keep reminding myself that God is in control and will allow my kids to go through what they need to go through so they get to where He wants them to be.  I have to remember that the hope I have in Him for my own salvation, I must also have in Him to hold my kids firmly in His hands and ‘keep after them’ until they serve Him and love Him with all their hearts.  I have to trust my Lord with their very lives.  He is my source of hope and because of Him I can have peace and joy in the midst of any circumstances.

Now may God, the source of hope, fill you with all joy and peace as you believe, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.  (Rom   ISV)

      So for now I will keep reminding myself to trust Him, and hope in Him, then…

                  Trust Him.
                  Hope in Him.

                    Repeat…

                  Trust Him.
                  Hope in Him.

                    Repeat…