and the One who walks with me on it.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Thought on Jonah

      A few days ago I heard a wise woman say, “The only thing in life you have any control over is your reputation.”  It is true that the choices you make will determine (for the most part) what others will think of you.  If you apply yourself to your job, you will be known as a hard worker.  If you take too many breaks or work as slow as a turtle, you will be known as a slacker.  Your choice as to how you work will determine your reputation.

http://www.christart.com/clipart
      Still, I don’t think we should live our lives overly concerned about our reputation, because sometimes others will think the wrong things about us based on what they see.  For example, when I was young some kids thought I was stuck up since I didn’t speak to them, but in reality I was just terribly shy.  Some may see me as unfashionable or odd because I dress modestly, or boring because I don’t want to get drunk and laugh at their perversity.

      Most people believe that Jonah was angry after Nineveh was saved from destruction because they were his hated enemies but I have to wonder if he was more concerned about having a damaged reputation.  (Personally I’d rather believe the latter as I can’t believe any true believer of our merciful God would desire the destruction of over 120,000 people.) 

This change of plans greatly upset Jonah, and he became very angry. So he complained to the Lord about it: “Didn’t I say before I left home that you would do this, Lord? That is why I ran away to Tarshish! I knew that you are a merciful and compassionate God, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love. You are eager to turn back from destroying people.  TLB
And now, O Jehovah, take, I pray Thee, my soul from me, for better [is] my death than my life.' 
                                                                                            YLT  (Jonah 4:1-3)

      Jonah says, ‘for better my death than my life.’  Even if God were to leave all my enemies alive I wouldn’t consider my death better than my life; but if my reputation was ‘destroyed’ I might.  After all, how do you earn a living if you have a bad reputation in 800 BC?  Jonah might believe he would be seen as a liar, a crazy man, or a false prophet since he said Nineveh would be destroyed and they weren’t.  That had to be a difficult place in which to be.

      I think the same concerns over reputation can stop Christians from speaking out against sin.  We don’t want to be seen as intolerant or condemning.  It may stop some of us from worshipping in particular ways.  We don’t want to be seen as overly enthusiastic or holy rollers.  We may not stand up for a just cause because we don’t want to be seen as a busybody.  I think, like our dreams and hopes, we should also lay down our reputations at the foot of the cross, and allow God to ‘protect’ them.  Meanwhile, we should focus on obeying God and following His Spirit and leave the rest up to Him.  After all, He is our fortress and refuge.
(Ps. 91:2; 2 Sam. 22:2,3)  He is our protection.


      Lord, lead me on the path You want me to be on, and let me be more concerned about doing Your will and following Your Spirit than I am about my own reputation. 

And Lord, give all of us the strength to stand up for what is right no matter the opposition, especially in these last days.