and the One who walks with me on it.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Temporary Guest- Psalm 119

       It was early in our marriage and we were on the east coast of Canada staying at a most impressive-imo- motel.  The outside building and grounds made you feel as if you were somewhere in Europe out in the beautiful countryside.  We could sit on the outdoor swings and watch the ducks walking by.  Inside, the décor was similar and very comfortable.  The workers were friendly and the atmosphere peaceful.  The food was all homemade, even the bread which was cut thick, and it was all very delicious.  Overall, it was the most enjoyable stay I’ve ever had in a motel.  Too bad I lost track of its name and where it was…

       My memories of that motel live on in me, though I was only a guest.  That motel wasn’t my home, nor was it ever meant to be my home.  It was meant as a place to stop in my journey out to the coast.  Kind of like my life journey.  The Creator ‘put’ me here on this earth as a temporary rest stop on the way to my real home which is with Him. 

I am a sojourner in the earth…  Psa 119:19a

       A sojourner is a temporary resident (Webster’s 1828) which means we are only here for a limited time.  God is the One who determines the amount of time we will reside on the earth, not us, not the devil, and not the doctors.  Our lives cannot be extinguished one nanosecond before the Lord allows it.*  He has a plan and purpose for each of us, whether it is for a long or a short time here.  But our real home is for Him as He has prepared a place for us with Him forever. (1 Thes. 4:17) 

Let not your heart be troubled: believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I come again, and will receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.  (John 14:1-3  ASV)

       ‘that where I am, there ye may be also.’  Jesus wants us to be with Him.  How amazing is that!  Being with the Lord is our ultimate goal.  We are just temporary residents here so we should enjoy as much of our time as possible and in Him: live abundantly, laugh frequently, love everyone unconditionally and show the world what life with Jesus will really resemble so they will want what we have.



*For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall both live, and do this or that. (Jas.  ASV)