and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

With My Whole Heart... Psalm 119

With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments. v. 10 KJV

       Twenty eight years a Christian and I can say without a doubt that I have not always sought the Lord, let alone with my whole heart.  I really wish I could say otherwise, but I can’t.  There were backslidden times when I relegated the Lord to my back shelf, and times when I was so angry at Him I didn’t speak to Him for months.  I’m glad that forgiveness and salvation continues through the blood of Jesus Christ.  Without it, I am sure that I would never have returned to my first Love.

       So, I am to seek or follow after the Lord with my entire heart/ feelings/ will/ intellect.  (see Strong’s Dictionary H1875).  The sum total of who I am or will ever be is supposed to pursue the Lord- to know Him more*.  I aspire to have this be true at all times- forever.  Is it even possible?  I’m not sure, but I can try.  I know I will never be perfect while on this earth, nor will I be able to live sin free; but I believe it is possible to continue to seek the Lord every day of my life.

       The second part of the verse sounds to me like a child asking a parent to not allow him to wander away.  In other words, the parent is assisting the child in the endeavor.  Throughout my Christian journey, I have tried to stop sinning and in the rare instance it worked, but more often than not, I needed the Lord’s help in halting sin or changing my desire for it.  Help me Lord, to not make mistakes or err when it comes to Your Word.  Help me to stay on the path of obedience- not obedience because I have to, but obedience because I love You and don’t want to hurt You.


Lord, I choose to seek You with my whole heart.  Help me to follow You completely.



*John 17:3- And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.    Php. 3:10- That I may know him…  KJV