and the One who walks with me on it.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

The Meeting Place- Part 3

       Ex. 33:11- Inside the tent the Lord spoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend.  Afterwards Moses would return to the camp, but the young man who assisted him, Joshua (son of Nun), stayed behind in the Tabernacle.

       Short recap:  This tent, probably used for Moses to decide on cases and commune with God, was far outside the camp due to Israelis idolatrous sin (Ex. 32) which was a sign God’s presence had left the camp but He was still available for them to seek Him there.

       I have always loved this section of Exodus since I first read it (hence the 3 part series), but verse eleven is my favorite.  Who wouldn’t love to know that Moses saw God face to face and they spoke as friends?  After all, God is no respecter of persons (Acts ) and He is the same yesterday, today and forever (Heb. 13:8) therefore, logically it follows I can do the same as Moses
-yep...
          little ‘ol me!!

       The part I find most interesting though is that Joshua did not leave (literal translation) God’s presence while Moses went back to work.  Was this a selfish act on his part or was it like the story of Mary and Martha where Jesus said of Mary who sat at His feet, “but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better…” (Luke NIV)  My belief is that being in God’s presence is exactly what Joshua (who was soon to be the next leader of Israel) was supposed to do.  Before taking on such a big responsibility as fulfilling God’s purpose for his life, he needed to spend time getting to know the One directing him.  Joshua needed his own personal relationship with Jehovah.  Shouldn’t we all follow Joshua’s example in fulfilling God’s purpose for us?

       And… while I would like to stay with God in the Meeting Place (greedy little girl that I am J ), I realize that, post Jesus, it doesn’t mean I stay in the tent the whole time but I walk out and accomplish the tasks He would have me to do remembering that He is always with me* and I may communicate with Him anytime or anywhere I want.  The Meeting Place (private time alone with Him) is just to prepare me for the journey ahead.

Lord, help me always to seek Your face, to not just ‘watch’ but DO spend time with You as a friend,
and then…
              ...kick me in the pants so I go out and do the work You have called me to do.

Thanks, ‘cause You know I need it  J




*Ps. 16:8- I know the Lord is always with me.  I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me.
Rom. 8:9- But you are not controlled by your sinful nature. You are controlled by the Spirit if you have the Spirit of God living in you. (And remember that those who do not have the Spirit of Christ living in them do not belong to him at all.)  NLT