and the One who walks with me on it.

Monday, April 04, 2011

The Meeting Place- Part 1

       Ex. 33:7- Moses always erected the sacred tent (the “Tent for Meeting with God,” he called it) far outside the camp, and everyone who wanted to consult with Jehovah went out there.  TLB

       This tent was not the tabernacle which God described in detail for the people to build, but was a different tent which Moses likely used to sit in judgment of cases in and to commune with God.  It was placed outside the camp because Moses had returned to find the Israelis in idolatry (Ex. 32) and so he considered the camp too polluted for the tent.  It symbolized that God’s presence had left the camp, yet look at the provision God made for His people.  Everyone who sought Jehovah could find Him there.

       What I like the most about this verse is that everyone who was ‘seeking’ (literal translation) Jehovah was able to go there.  A few things stand out to me:
-Anyone could go: young or old, male or female, the lowly or highly esteemed.
-If they wanted God, God was willing to be there for them.
-The ‘seekers’ had to leave the comfort of their camp.
-Everyone else could be watching as the ‘seeker’ walked there. V.8

       It makes me think about my heart.  Am I truly a ‘seeker’?  Do I go out of my way to leave my comfort zone to meet with Him?  Do I let others watching me hold me back from a better relationship with Him, from doing the work He wants me to do, saying the words He wants me to speak, or worshipping Him the way my heart really desires?

I wonder how many Israelis took Jehovah up on His offer.

I wonder how many of us do.




Is. 55:6- Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:
Am. 5:4- For thus saith the LORD unto the house of Israel, Seek ye me, and ye shall live:
Ps. 105:4- Seek the LORD, and his strength: seek his face evermore.  KJV

Acts 17:27- (God created man) His purpose in all of this is that they should seek after God, and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him- though he is not far from any one of us.  TLB