and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

It’s not what she said, but what I saw…

       We sat facing each other during our break and since we were alone, the conversation had turned personal.  She told me of many trials she had endured, and then about finding her uncle washed up on shore.  I sat flabbergast, not because of the horror in seeing a loved one dead that way, or knowing all the pain she had been through, but that as she described it all there was such a peaceful demeanor about her.  In the midst of a dreadful trial myself I could not imagine ever reaching a place where God’s peace would be so apparent on my face.

       All I could think of is how much I wanted what she had but at the time it seemed like I would never find peace again.  It was a very lonely time and only a handful of people understood a small part of the trauma we were going through.  How often I wished for a hug; for someone to put their arms around me and say, “I love you.”  How valuable it would have been to have one person hold my hands and say, “I will stand by you no matter what.”  How much I needed to feel that squeeze on my shoulder with the words, “I’m so sorry you are going through this.”

       Comfort, oh, comfort my people, says your God. (Is. 40:1 TLB)  During a time of great tribulation in Israel the Father tells His prophet* to comfort His children.  Certainly there are times and places God confronts sin and warns His people through His prophets, but here He wants some encouragement to help set hope in front of His people’s eyes once again.  He wants to bring them comfort in their distress.

       Comfort, oh comfort my people, says your God.  We never really know what any one person is going through at a particular time, so as we meet people at work, at church, in school or any other place, it’s always a good idea to remember they just might be having the worst day of their lives, and a word or touch can bring them comfort and encourage them to keep on walking the journey.  God’s comfort is forever available to us, but He also expects that we will show His love through our actions toward others.** 

Comfort, oh comfort my people, says your God.




*1Co 14:3- But one who prophesies strengthens others, encourages them, and comforts them.
**2Co 1:3,4- …God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort.  He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.  NLT
also (1 Th. ; 2 Cor. )